What is so great about being married?

Seriously... I've never been married. I've been engaged for 2 1/2 years and I'm dragging my feet on picking a date. I don't see what the big rush is. I've already got the house & kids. We've been living together for 4 years... what is going to change other than my last name? oh, and the fact that the house I've put 10 years of equity into will now be 1/2 his...
Not trying to be a marriage hater - I really want to know what the "up" side is.

I guess I've seen too many divorced people in my family to want to go jumping into it.

1Katrina

Asked by 1Katrina at 10:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• As long as u have had the house before marriage,it will not become half his!!!! That would be your decision!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If he dies you get the dough. That's about all I can think of.
    Anonymous

• In the eyes of God u would be married. It would be blessed by the church! U know he really is there for the long haul,through good times and bad! U have a real commitment.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i lived with my ex husband for 6yrs and once we got married everything changed and divorced 2yrs after....thinking back i regretted getting married everything was perfect till we became husband and wife...idk why
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 10:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• To me what it is about is making a formal commitment to stay together, through whatever life throws at you. It makes the perfect environment to raise kids, because they can be secure in the knowledge that their parents are together and commited to that relationship. No wondering if and when mom or dad might up and leave. It makes for a stronger more permanent unity. (I've been married 20+ years and I love being married - hasn't always been peaches and cream, but we know we are there for each other).
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Lets see I was engaged once, he has since gotten Married. I am now living and have been for the past 2 years with the father of my only 2 children. He has 2 other children that he does not see. He was never married to their mother either. Personally, I am fine with out being married but I do have that little spot inside me that wants the wedding party. Or Maybe a decked out Honey Moon and the rings..we already have the kids. Who needs the papers??? Just sayin
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Tax breaks!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Sorry, no tax breaks. Marriage penalty was eliminated a few years back. The upside of marriage is you get a piece of paper, a sense of "normalcy" for your children, that's about it. I would recommend a pre-nup to clearly delineate what you've accumulated before marriage and what you did togheter as a couple (he'll be entitled to the appreciation of the house beginning the date of marriage.)
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If that is how you feel about marriage might want to look at the relationship you have with him. Sometimes we drag our feet because we really don't want to spend the rest of our life with the person we are with. I was with a man for 7 years I loved him and thought he was the guy for me. We lived together and had combined our lives. When we got closer to our wedding day I realized I loved him but wasn't in love with him. We split up and 6 months later I met my current husband we married less than three months later and have been happily married for 25 years. I wanted to marry him right away never had that feeling with the other guy ever. Might not be your situation but I have found for many of my friends who have lived with people for more than 3-4 years it was even when they had kids.

Anonymous

• If you can't understand what's so great about being married, then don't get married.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011