Does anyone have a son or brother that became a teen father? What advice would you give a teen father?

My 16 year old brother just found out his 17 year old ex-girlfriend is pregnant; they broke up six months ago but continued to have sex because neither of them had started dating anyone new. I have no doubts about what kind of father my brother will be; he has always been great with kids, he was 8 years old when he became an uncle for the first time and he took to caring for infants and children like someone who raised a dozen kids. Of course things are always a bit different when it's your own kid so he's nervous and slightly freaked out about being a dad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Do what any good daddy does and try his best. Be there for his kid and the mother (whether they're together or not). It never helps if the parents don't get along. My ODS father was 15 when we had him and he wasn't around and that's what hurt most of all. Now my ODS doesn't even know who his father is and he's almost 7 yrs old. Your brother needs to be strong, make sure he can support this baby, and love him with all his heart. That's what makes a good dad IMO.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 10:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Finish School! Both of them! And look into college even if it is a certificate program!! Don't be tempted to drop out. Just push through and Finish it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Oh that is so sad. :( Why would they continue having sex after they broke up? Now a baby-on-the-way is already in a broken home before it was even concieved. That's just tragic for the child. :/ It takes two people to raise a child, and ideally they should be mom and dad in a loving family unit. Is she considering abortion or adoption?

judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They're keeping the baby, they may not be together now but I know my brother still cares for her and I honestly believe she still cares for him too, especially since he was the one who ended the relationship. She is now living with my brother in his apartment so he can be there for everything - he wants to go to the doctor appointments, feel the first kicks, talk to the baby through the belly, go out at all hours of the night for any cravings she may have (though I told him out of all my mommy friends there is only one who ever had a particular craving that sent her husband out to get it). A mother and father don't have to be together to raise a happy child, my parents split up for years when I was kid but I still grew up with stability and happiness. Whether they get back together or not they're a family and they will raise this child together.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My baby brother and his gf were on again-off again for a long time... (they're currently off agin)... during one of their break ups, she got preggo... she insisted that it was his baby... well, come to find out, the baby isn't his... but he treats her just like she was his own biological kid... he's the one on the birth certificate and the biological father hasn't been around her at all...

I'd tell anyone who found themself in this position, to do what you can... be around the baby and provide for him/her to the best of your ability... be strong because no matter what age you are, its hard... and most importantly love the child with everything you've got!
    2AwesomeKiddos

Answer by 2AwesomeKiddos at 10:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Luckily we were all raised to put family before anything else, my brother will be graduating HS in two months (he's been in accelerated programs since middle school) and he works for me at my company and has his own apartment and can financially support a baby so long as Caitlyn (his ex) continues to work - she is a paid intern at my company and between me, my brother, my sister, and my eldest brother we've discussed a schedule that will work for Caitlyn so she can continue to go to school and I have a daycare in my office building so she can also continue to work. My brother will be taking college courses this summer so I can promote him, I told him I wouldn't promote him simply because he's my brother, he needs the same credits as anyone else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• no advice sorry
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 4:50 PM on May. 25, 2011