Is my daughter underweight?

she is ebf, 5 months old, and weighs 14 pounds and 27.5 inches long. seems small for her height and age, no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she scrawny? Can you see every rib or every bone in her arms and legs?

My youngest was around that size when he was that age. He still had little fat rolls on his legs and arms. His doctor and I discussed it and decided he was fine. He was tiny, sure, but he still had fat reserves.

If you are worried, talk to your ped at his 6 month check up. Call and get an earlier appointment if you are too worried to wait. Oh...another thing. My doc said another reason he wasn't worried was because my little guy was meeting and surpassing all the milestones.
    If your LO is doing fine with the milestone, don't worry too much.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would talk tot he doctor. Ther is a big difference between small or petite and clinically under weight.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would definitely ask the doctor if you are worried, but remember that the doctor would tell you if they had concerns. My YDD is in the 41st percentile for weight and 75th for height...They didn't say anything was wrong.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• http://kids.emedtv.com/baby-week-by-week/5-month-old-baby-(20-weeks).html

THIS is a good site for all your questions.
    14 pounds is average for a 5 month old girl. DOn't worry.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My daughter was born at 8 lbs 5 oz and was 13 lbs at 6 months.
    My son was 7 lbs at birth and was 16 lbs at 1 year.
    Both were EBF and both are healthy
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My daughter only weighs 12lbs 12oz and is 5 months old. She's in the fifteenth percentile. The Pediatrician isn't worried about her at all.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 11:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• breast fed babies are typically lighter than formula fed babies (typically, lol, mt second isnt typical and is a chunker, nearly 20lbs at 4 months old)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would ask the doctor.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• babies come in all shapes and sizes. my sister had a baby 1 month before I had my last baby and mine weighted 2 lbs more than his 1 month old cousin! Unless your Dr. thinks there is something to worry about, I would say no. You might just have a petite baby.
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 10:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No. My 8 month old weighs 13 lbs and is 25 1/2 inches tall. She was ebf until 6 months and then we switched to formula and solids. She's very petite and not even on the charts but she's height/weight proportionate and is growing and meeting all her milestones. All of my kids have been on the small side. If the dr is worried, they will let you know.

Answer by missanc at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2011