Any advice on doing a 5k for the first time?

I am working on my running and will hopefully be doing my first 5k next month and doing a 5k plus obstacle in 2 1/2 months. I am currently using the Couch 2 5K program. Can anyone give me advice on how to be prepared for these races?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• C25k is great...that'll get you prepared. Are you doing Warrior Dash or something of the sort? Adding in strength training 2 days a week can help you become a stronger runner and be ready for obstacles
    Relax, have fun and remember no matter your time, your 1st 5k is automatically a personal best. Don't be afraid to push yourself beyond what you think is possible. Know the course - is it hilly? If so, find some hills to run so you're not shocked on race day. And most important, HAVE FUN! The running community is wonderful.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Enjoy it! Feed off of the energy of the crowd! Rally some support to wait for you at the finish line. I agree with PP, look at the course (usually available online) and get prepped for the type of terrain- hills, concrete, etc. Have a great time!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I just did my first 5K last Sat and it was fun. Just enjoy don't get too stressed out and give it your all. Have fun!
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 2:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011