Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get a restraining order?

My fiance and I are expecting our first child. I already have a son from a previous relationship with a guy who was abusive, however my relationship has become very stressful. My fiance bought a house and his mom cosigned with with. She signed a quit claim deed and had her name taken off but its still on the mortgage. Anyway, She had to come live with us temporarily and she went from being a guest to acting like the homeowner. She started making arguements with me, calling the cops on me repeatedly, and repeated name calling. Every time I see her she calls me a hoe or a bitch and threatens to call the cops on me. Mostly I just walk away and go in my room because I dont like confrontation and my sons always around. SHe moved out but now has nowhere to stay and wants to move back in. I dont think I can handle the stress. She told me shes going to make my life a living hell and it stresses me just to hear her say it. My fiance is prepared to pack up and move away but I dont want him to, we spent alot on this house. Is it possible I can get a restraining order. His family already calls me an outsider and treat me badly he told them Im his wife and they should accept me but they dont. Is this restraining order possible to obtain, is it an good idea?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • I think you should talk to a lawyer if you're wanting to go that route. Because her name is on the mortgage it may cause problems and it may not. I hope someone on here can give you more advice than i could. GL

    Answer by bdflykisses at 10:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • I think your man needs to get a damn back bone and talk to his mom about how she treats you.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • Unless you can prove harrassment or assault (or if you have proof of her threatening to physically harm you), then no, you can't. Sorry :(

    Answer by laird6372 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • I will nwver speak to her ever again...Tell ur husband speak to his disrespectful mom...

    Answer by smiley745 at 1:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • I think my last answer to you was just as appropriate as it is now. Change the locks and tell her to go away. If she does not, you can have her removed from the property. She does not live there, so she does not need to be there. Let her get all mouthy and good and riled up when you lock her out, and that way the cops will see that she's a nut. Good luck!

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:59 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.