I HATE OUR DOG!!

I know I have asked for help before. We tried and it never really worked out. I am having a hard time potty training our dog. He is getting bad. He is a Maltese/Poodle Mix. Sweet & Cute, but I am starting to HATE him. We put him into the bathroom when we leave. And take him straight out when we get home. But I am still finding poop and I stepped in a wetspot on my rug just now. I am guessing its pee. Now he jumps on the dining room table. I told our middle son NOT to feed him table food. It will become a problem. I am beside myself. I am ready to get rid of him and tell the kids he ran away. HELP!! I want to clean my carpets so bad!!...... Lets say I just found him today on the streets. He is about 15 weeks or so. What do I do?? Where should I start? THANK YOU!!!!

eluc

Asked by eluc at 10:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pets

• You have to to be the Pack Leader! Right now, your dog is marking every thing as his. He basically is telling you" This is mine, this couch is mine, these humans are mine..." ect. And let me guess, u all put him in the bathroom when u leave all day and when u come home of course he peed an pooped everywhere. Then u yell at at him, or your kids cuddle with him and say "its all right.." Does anyone walk him? He needs to be walked just about everyday for at least an hr. If your dog is this way right now, its gonna take EVEERYBODY to to do this. Having a dog is a pleasure and a pain in the ass. I have a few things I gonna tell u, and u have to do it this way, or u might as well as take himn to a shelter or give him toi somebody.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I am gonna have to sendu a msg cause its too long for this.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Be patient! The dog is learning! Please do not give up on this and listen to PP because the poor dog deserves a chance. Makes me sad to read that you want to get rid of him and tell the dogs he ran away. :(
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Will u get him crate trained? Its easier and the dogs are less likely to mess in the place they sleep.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• For a dog to be house broken,u have to have someone there in the house to let him out when he needs to go. It is not the dogs fault if u leave for long periods of time and he makes a mess!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:03 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You need to get a crate. The bathroom is to big a " den" for him. Make sure the crate is only big enought for him to stand up turn around and lay down. The crate will help with the housebreaking.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The dog is learning and will make mistakes. Please remember that is not his fault. It's similar to potty training a toddler. The baby will make mistakes, you just have to be patient.

If you feel that you TRULY can't take it and may harm the dog, find someone who will care for the animal properly.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Puppies love to pee on rugs...or any absorbent surface for that matter. Your dog truly has way too much freedom in your home for its age and breed(s).

You need to get that puppy in a small carrier, only enough room to stand and turn a circle with NO bedding, not even a towel for awhile. You need to give a reward every time you take it out. You need to take her out every few hours for awhile. And last, you need to put a 10 foot clothesline on the dog while it is in the house so it doesn't wander away from you or jump on the table when you aren't watching her.

This dog just doesn't have a clue and you need to go back to square one so you can get her house trained properly. Puppies take at the minimum 6 months of hard work and more often 12 months before you can really let them have the freedoms of running around in the house without difficulty or accidents.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thanks Everyone!
    eluc

Comment by eluc (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011