• In the Spotlight:

Rash on preschooler. Is it a viral rash?

Hi: I have a 4 year old. Had a cold with cough that lasted quite a while. No fevers. Now has a rash that started Wednesday on his chest. Lacy type, not itchy. I called the pediatrcian on Wednesday and they said probably was due to his cold virus. Now the rash has spread to his face, ears, arms and legs. He also has this spot on his cheek that is bright red, circular and the size of half dollar. I am waiting for a call back from the on call dr, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Thanks Michelle

delia100

Asked by delia100 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would take him to the er to find out for sure what it is you never know just to be safe
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing and it turned out that she had strep. You should definitely take your child to the doctor.
    mizbyotch

Answer by mizbyotch at 9:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• as a medical scientist i kno what you are talking about. it sounds liek a strep a rash or an entervirus. but given the cough and symptoms id say strep. dont go to the er for confirmation. they wont do anything. keep his fever down and baby him with popcicles and such. tkae him tot he docotr when it opens on monday.
    my 3 year old son had the same rash abotu 2 years ago. he had been left with his cousins for 2 days and got strep in his ear from the daycare thsoe kids went to. the rash isnt itchy and can cover the whole body but usually starts on the core. it looks worse then it is.
    it happens when the body is first introduced to teh strep a antigen. its almost an allergic reaction. but if he is exposed again he wont get the rash.
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 11:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• It could have been an allergic reaction to something he ate, or a spider bite.Benedryl is good for that.
    vroberts3677

Answer by vroberts3677 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• my son is 18months old and has had a runny nose and no fever, now his has that same rash and it has spread to his face and i have gave him oatmeal baths, bynadryll, tylonal, that pink lotion and i dont know what it is he has had it for 5days now and he dont act like it bothers him, we are going to the doc tomorrow.
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Thanks everyone! I did take him to the Dr and he has a viral rash. not itchy and not contagious. His ears and throat looked good. It is starting to fade a bit.
    delia100

Answer by delia100 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2008