Think they should fine truant children?

In a neighboring city, they have proposed to fine any truant children if they're caught missing school without a valid excuse. Do you think this is a good idea, or not?

I haven't really formed an opinion on this yet, however, I don't think it will teach children anything since MOST of them will have their parents to pay the fine.

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 11:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• absolutely not. lets not criminalize our children, but rather help them learn and get through/discuss whatever is causing the issue with school.
    earthmamajoe

Answer by earthmamajoe at 11:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Horrible Idea. What the hell is that going to teach the children? We are in a recession where people are loosing their homes and their jobs STILL and we're going to threaten fines for kid's skipping school. Any parent stating "you should know where your kid is" has clearly forgotten what HS is like. My mom drove me to school every day. Beyond that point what was she suppose to do sit there outside my classroom to make sure I went? I skipped with my older friends who could drive. She would find out... ground me... and I didn't care.

The school should inform the parents and the parent should make every effort to hold them accountable. And I also believe in detention but the school has no place writing tickets to parents or children.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 11:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I don't know about fining but I believe kids should be on time to school. This is part of planning when you decide to have kids. It sets a bad example to be chronically late and tends to carry into your life. But I admit, I am NEVER late. I think it's rude.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My friend and I left school every single day of our junior and senior year for lunch. We just walked right out the door. The trick was to keep walking, if you looked back they knew you were up to something, if you kept walking it was assumed you were going to a portable, tennis court for gym, or home sick. We even got pulled over for speeding once during school hours and the cop didn't even notice we should've been at class. We only left for lunch, we always made it back in time, or took the tardy if we ran a little late. But there were 587 students in just my class alone, there was no way for the school to know if every single student checked into lunch or not. I graduated with an overall 3.6 gpa, and was always involved in activities. I just didn't enjoy cafeteria lunch. Fining the students or parents isn't going to solve anything, they need to figure out why truency is such a problem and address the real issue.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• the parents are the ones who should pay it, you should know where your kids are.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• What do you do when you have to work a full time job and cannot take the child to school everyday?
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• FINE the children? No, fine the parents. I took mine to school on the way to work. If they "skipped" the school calls. BUT they didn't skip. They knew better. They actually liked school .
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I used to skip school...don't you remember senior skip days?! LOL!

Anyway, I'm not sure about this either. Interesting idea, but will it work? IDK.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'm not sure because the parents are gonna end up paying for the fines and some parents are good parents and shouldn't take the full blame if their kids are skipping school. Fines don't fix the problem.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I should add that fines work if the parents are just being irresponsible when it comes to their children and not telling them the importance of school.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011