Any moms have a child with eczema/ asthma?

My 2 year old son has eczema (which we think is genetic from my mother in law) and I recently heard that it can have a connection with asthma. Has anyone experienced this? Do you know anything to help with the eczema? We use aquaphor and it seems to help but not completely.

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Health

• DD had eczema, but not asthma. Took 10 years to finally rid her of it.

Stay away from Aquafor and other petrochemicals; they have no business on or near the skin.
    Stay away from Rx creams like Elidel; they are known to cause cancer.
    Stay away from OTC creams (even those made for eczema); they contain those nasty petrochemicals which will exacerbate the condition.
    Avoid dairy; it is a huge culprit for flair-ups. Use coconut oil (topically and orally).
    Make sure to supplement with healthy oils (the omegas, borage oil, evening primrose oil, etc.).
    Up your child's probiotic intake. U need a healthy immune system to fight this.
    Change out all soaps, shampoos, toiletries that contain SLS (sodium-lauryl sulfates). It is one of the harshest ingredients on skin and yes, it is even found in baby products. This was the final piece of the puzzle for my DD and her eczema finally cleared up completely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• asthma not eczema
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I have 2 children with eczema. They haven't shown symptoms of asthma yet, thank God. I have eczema and asthma...asthma came first. Your child's doctor can prescribe something that should work. I don't know how I'd manage without my cream!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• DS is18 months, but he doesnt have eczema, only asthma.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• dd is 2yo, has eczema, we use aquaphor too, seems to work ok. I recently started developing eczema, but only on my upper arms, it's weird,....it works great for me though.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Eczema is forever, I believe. My sister's had it since she was a baby. She doesn't have asthma though.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 11:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I use Renew from Melaleuca. It has tea tree oil in it. Works great on my eczema.
    Farmwoman13

Answer by Farmwoman13 at 1:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011