What should I do if my son won't listen to me?

Hello. I have an almost 2 year old boy, and he just will not listen. Most of the time he is a good child, but when he acts out he won't listen no matter what I do. I tried time outs, and I don't agree with spanking. Please help!!

mamabaier

Asked by mamabaier at 11:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't yell, just calmly pick him up, put him in time out and set the timer. If he gets up put him back in without a word. If he really won't stay, try a high chair or play pen or their bed room for time out. When time out is done, talk with them. ask if they know why they are in time out, if they understand, and give them a hug and let them play again.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think at that age they're just starting to realize the power of tantrums. I think the action you should take depends on the circumstances of the situation but whatever you do don't give in! They just realize that screaming and/or whining loud enough will get them what they want (even if it's only some of the time).
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I disagree with the previous reply. When your child doesn't listen to you, try listening to him. Change the dynamic and try and see things from his perspective and understand why he's doing what he's doing. Punishment is really not necessary, just change things so that the reason for his dangerous or rude behaviour is no longer there. Be kind and treat him with respect. The world is a confusing place for a little boy.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• sometimes kids dont listen because they dont understand what you want them to do. a few weeks ago I began thsi massive battle with my twins and jumping on the couch. a week into starting time outs i realized, omg they dont knwo what jumping means they dont know what sitting means. i had to teach them what i want them to do, now they do a much btter job at listening.
    also, they listen more when i'm more relaxed and laid back about it. if i shout at them, they just try and push my buttons more, it seems. but if i just say in passing "get off the couch" they tend to listen.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• terrible 2's it is....
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 3:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• try calming him down and then talk to him and let him know that it isn't OK to throw tantrums and he will get his way more if he asks nicely instead of throwing a tantrum. get down to his level and listen to him. Good Luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2011