Have you given your baby cereal Bottles before they were suppose to have them?

deevega

Asked by deevega at 11:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave my firstborn cereal in a bottle because I didn't know better. But then I learned that fruit is a better first food and that it's dangerous to give food in a bottle because it doesn't get mixed with baby's saliva so it's not properly digested. So I am sorry I ever did, and certainly did not repeat that with my subsequent 5 babies. My younger 3 didn't get bottles at all, for that matter. Breast to cups and plates. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I never put cereal in a bottle because of asphixiation risks....
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No. When my sons were born (in 1986, 1988, 1990 and 1991) it was suggested by their doctors to give them bottles with cereal in them at 6-8 weeks and that's what I did and what all of my friends did.
    Anonymous

• We never gave them cereal in a bottle. I always fed them from a bowl with a spoon.
    . It is just not a good idea. My kids were born in the 1960's. I bottle fed/formula fed two babies and breast fed one....but never put cereal in their bottles. Not good.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I did... At 2 months old my DS could NOT stop being hungry, and he didn't get the whole spoon concept..So, I put a little in his bottle to help hold him over...He's perfectly fine.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My babies Dr said to mix it in with a bottle to help reflux...I never did because I breastfeed..some mothers are okay with it others are totally against it..its up to you..
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 12:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i did at 2 months with my daughter and she got a bad case of diareah and well bad rash so i stopped and now that she is 5 months im going to start spoon feeding her...!
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 3:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You're not supposed to put cereal in a bottle, so giving a cereal bottle at ANY time is considered "before they were supposed to have them". No, I never put cereal in a bottle, though I never used bottles anyway.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:10 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My mother laughs at me when I tell her no cereal til 4 months, she did it with me and all my sisters. Its just crazy how "research studies" change over time. Put em on their back/put em on their tummy, wake em up to eat/never wake a sleeping baby, etc. What was thought to be okay 20 yrs ago now is harmful for babies.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• A baby is NEVER *supposed to* have a cereal bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2011