How would my family benifit if my husband joined services?

What would be his pay? how long is training? What is best out of army, national guard, marines, or navy? We are really cinsidering this.

Mrs.Ferri

Asked by Mrs.Ferri at 11:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• My DH is a Marine. Pay varies based on years in as well as grade. Look up the 2011 Military Pay Chart. It's the same for every service. Your family would also be covered by TriCare medical insurance as well as United Concordia Dental Insurance. If you are seen at a military facility, everything is free. If not, there are small co-pays (for braces, though, they will only pay $1500 per person for a lifetime, so there would be some out of pocket expense for that). Your family would also recieve BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) OR you can live on base (BAH then would not get paid to you, because it would be used to pay for utilities and housing on base).

Training ranges... I think for USMC it's 6 weeks for bootcamp and then a few weeks for training specific to whatever his job will be.

I personally think the Marine Corps is better, but I've only ever had experience with them (DH is in and my dad is retired).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I know in the marines first part of training he would be boot camp which is 13 weeks if he doesn't get set back for one reason or another. His other training would depend on what job he got while in usmc and where it would be. Starting pay would be about $1200 every 1st and 15th of every month. Now whether you all lived on base housing he'd get less because rent & utilities are already taken out of his check. But trust me base housing is cheaper than living out in town.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• laird6372 hit everything right on the head.
    there are also alot of support groups and a better community environment for you and your children.
    you get a chance to see and live places you've never been.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• "laird6372 hit everything right on the head." Ditto!!!
    I grew up military and married military. . . a whole new world opens up to you that way. . . you see and learn things most people only dream of. . .
    Anonymous

• You don't just GET United Concordia insurance for dental. You pay a small monthly fee for it (I think its like $15 for me and the 4 kids). Free cleanings twice a year, free x-rays once a year for the kids. Plus, you don't HAVE to see a dentist on base. Just call around where ever he got stationed, if you're like me and don't exactly trust military drs (I really don't know what it is...).

Base housing might be cheaper to live, but its definitely more annoying, at least here it is. After 6 years of living on base, I got fed up with it and told hub we're getting OFF BASE, and I'm a lot happier now. Sure, it costs a little more than BAH, but my happiness/sanity > money ;)

Hub is USAF, and I'm rather fond of it over other branches, especially Army.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2011