Is it better to mediacte your kid with medicines or better to let them be a kid?

I believe let them be a kid, but what is your opinon. Also, in the past we didn't do this and people turned out fine.

Mrs.Ferri

Asked by Mrs.Ferri at 11:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I think in severe cases, medication is okay, IF it is a small dose. However, I personally feel that things like Behavior Modification Therapy could help children in cases of ADHD and ADD...
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Kids are on too much medication if you ask me.
    PartyOf5InWI

Answer by PartyOf5InWI at 11:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My Hubby was raised with the thought of not having medicine when growing up and was in alot of pain! His folks made him suffer! I was raised to have medicine given to me when sick so i give my kids something if their head hurts for headache or daughter has painful cramps with period. Is that kind of medicate you mean? Just wondering........
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 11:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We don't medicate unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Meds have their place, but they're WAAAAY overused. There are so many other ways to treat things than with medications, most of the time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• it depends. . . I definitely believe in remedies. . . but I think people in general are over medicated. . . Some are necessary though. . . I say if you can. . . let kids be kids, but if medication is needed use it. . .but only if you have to. . .
    Anonymous

• In certain cases, but doctors nowadays just love to whip out that pad and give people pills like it's nothing. But if it's truly necessary please do.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well you dont mention what illness they would have .. but what if your child has seizures? would you leave it alone let them being a kid? or would you medicate them to stop the seizuring so they can actually be a kid!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 12:03 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• no i mean stuff fro ADAH and ADD
    Mrs.Ferri

Comment by Mrs.Ferri (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have seen first hand what meds can do for my kids. I choose to medicate because it is what is best for them. Unfortunately there are some idiotic cruel people in this world that choose to judge people with differences. For that reason my kids are on meds. It is the difference between my son having a friend at school because he can have a normal conversation and having no friends because noone will talk to him or accept him if his tourette's is noticable.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• First I look to diet to see if there is anything there that could help, then exercise. Different ways of teaching subjects that are more physical(I homeschool) For ADD & ADHD there is things like the Feingold Diet. Medications are a last resort and as a homeschooler I don't need them.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2011