3 Weeks and 3 Days and having some light bleeding

This is my second pregnancy and I never bled with my first. I just found out 3 days ago that I am pregnant and I took another hpt this morning and it was positive so I called my doctor and made my first OB appointment. I spoke with a nurse because I am having some light spotting (dark red) and only when I wipe. She said its nothing to worry about and as long as there are no cramps with it (which there aren't). Now the bleeding is a little heavier, still only when I wipe, but its a brigher red almost like I'm going to start my period(its not due for another 3 days). Should I call my doctor? Or should I just wait and see what happens? Is there anything they could do right now anyways?

kvanness0824

Asked by kvanness0824 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had some light "Implantation bleeding" with my second, none with my first and asked the same question. From what I found, it's typical especially around the time you would be due for your period for some spotting. Also from what I've heard from friends who've had miscarriage's, they all say they KNEW something was very wrong so I wouldn't panic unless it really picks up or is accompanied by pain. Oh and congrats!
    JeniJonas

Answer by JeniJonas at 12:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Sounds like you are miscarrying hun. :/ These kinds of early miscarriages are actually kind of common. Most women don't notice though of course because it's too early for a positive pregnancy test for them and they assume it's just their period.
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Its starting to pick up, kinda like dripping out but its now a light pink color. I think I probably am misscarrying, I'll just have to wait and see. :(
    kvanness0824

Comment by kvanness0824 (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If it's bright red or pink and getting heavier, you are more than likely having a miscarriage. Most women have cramping during miscarriage but not all. Honestly, if it's just a normal miscarriage, there's not much the doctor can do for you at this time. If your cramping gets severe you can go to the ER and they will give you something stronger than ibuprofen to take for pain. If you start bleeding profusely go to the ER. At this stage the amount of blood that comes out shouldn't be much worse than a heavy period. It's good to have a check up soon after a miscarriage just to make sure all the tissue has cleared out and everything checks out ok. I've had 4 miscarriages so it sounds to me (from experience) that it's a miscarriage. I know how hard it is but you'll get through it, I promise. Miscarriages are so much more common than people realize. If you have a heating pad try using it. Take 4 ibuprofen. Hot baths help too.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 1:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Bump
    proudmommy31604

Answer by proudmommy31604 at 5:43 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• In both of my pregnancies, the placenta started out partially on my cervix. As the pregnancy went on and my uterus grow, the placenta shifted. The doctor said that it happens often, but is not a sign that placenta previa(sp) will happen(placenta over cervix). It did cause bleeding that started as light spotting when I wiped to heavy spotting, but not as heavy as regular flow. Best thing is to call or go to doctor. Mine did an vaginal U/S to see who placenta was attached.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 8:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2011