Children are born believers in God

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3512686/Children-are-born-believers-in-God-academic-claims.html

What do you think of this study?

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think children are more "psychic" and connected to the Divine than we give them credit for. I know I didn't put much "belief" into their minds when they were little and my daughter still KNEW they were there (her angels and guides). And I did, too. I already KNEW God before my mom decided to tell me.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Interesting article! I agree that human beings are predisposed to seek order/purpose in the world around them. From an early age we seek to understand and to make the world make sense. For some that may equate to belief in God, for others it may mean something different. I find it an interesting conclusion to draw that believing that things in the universe have a 'purpose' is equated to believing in intelligent design. Though I wouldn't say I don't believe in some notion of god, I can say that I don't believe in 'intelligent design' (ie. the idea that a creator god built the universe.) That doesn't mean that I think that the universe is random and purposeless... I view the universe as an enormously complex web of interconnectedness of which we all are an invaluable part. I think that to draw a conclusion that our two choices are random chaos and creation/manipulation by the divine ignores other view of the world.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Kids believe in whatever the adults around them teach them, whether it be God, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 9:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• This Dr. Barret sounds a little fanatical. After reading the article I was pretty shocked since neurologists and psychologists have found that humans are born as pretty much a blank slate (with some instincts of course). I was also surprised to see he was an anthropologists. Maslows hierarchy of needs is a very accepted theory in anthropology. Also, Barret had no specific proof of his idea. Just an idea he had. Maslows Hierarchy says that basic needs like shelter need to be met before safety. Next comes love and belonging, then self esteem, then self actualization). There are still cultures out there that do not even have politics and, not ironically, have no religion. They don't have the time to consider the why questions that lead to the development of a god.

I am with lovinmystar. Kids believe as they are taught.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I believe it to an extent. I don't believe that they believe in a specific god. But yes child will fill in the gaps with the concept of something higher. While the human race started off we did the same thing.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• No a child is born an atheist and adopts the belief systems of the household it was born into until old enough to make up their own minds.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 6:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• rofl, that has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Wow, Jebus freaks really let loose on that one!!
    Anonymous