New puppy with a baby?

When is a good time to get a puppy? DD just turned 1.

Kitkat61277

Asked by Kitkat61277 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pets

• 3yrs old......maybe 2
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• A lot of rescues say to wait till the child is older. Many won't adopt till 6 or 7. I got a puppy when DD was 2. Everything was fine, but certainly hard work keeping up with a toddler plus training a puppy. Just make sure your ready for the work load. Because the last thing you want is a baby and an untrained dog on your hands.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think school age. So they are old enough to understand that they cant play rough with a puppy.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I say at birth but thats my po when my son was born we had 2 cats 2 kittens one boxer pup 2 turtles a terancela (sp?) and a tank full of gold fish......... it was the best idea ever our oldest cat would sleep in or under the crib and run the kittens and dog out of the room if they tryed to get to close I grew up with pets and i think its the best way to keep them from having strong allergies and fears later on if they are around them from early on!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 12:43 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think any age is good as long as you are ready to train the child and the puppy. Both must learn their boundaries with the other. The child needs to learn not to hurt or tease the puppy and the puppy needs to learn to respect the child as an alpha member. Dogs consider your family as their pack and must be taught that the humans are the alpha leaders and they are the follower. It makes for a much happier dog and family.
    Farmwoman13

Answer by Farmwoman13 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Any age as long as it's completely supervised.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We had a dog when my oldest was born and both of my kids have grown up around their grandma's dogs, one of which is ours since she's too big to live at our house right now. I think any age is ok as long as you train the dog, and the child when they are old enough.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• When you are ready to take on the housebreaking, training and and socialization on the pup is the best time to get a dog. The age of the child really does not matter.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:47 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• As long as you understand that YOU are the one responsible for feeding and training the puppy and not the kid, and as long as you feel that you are ready to take on those responsibilities, any age is fine. We got our first puppy when our son was about 7 and our daughter was about 2 and everything worked out fine. We got our second puppy 2 yrs later. :)
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It's basically whenever you feel like you would be ready for a second child. lol That's exactly what it's like to care for them. They require just as much time as a new baby, they have to be loved on and fed and cleaned up after.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2011