Weight gain in pregnancy

Is it ok to not gain any weight? I've been using a device for a couple months that tracked exactly how many calories I burn in a day. It was to lose weight so I was making sure to eat 500 calories less than I burned every day. Now I've adjusted my intake goal to match calories burned. I've read articles that you should eat 500 more calories every day for the baby, but is that 500 more than you burn or 500 more than you usually eat? Anyone have ideas?

Kitkat61277

Asked by Kitkat61277 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• More then you usually eat. But actually it depends on how far along you are. At the beginning you don't need any extra. Overall for a woman who isn't overweight you should gain 30-45lbs I think. I'm overweight and have lost weight with this pregnancy and my last. But thats pretty normal I think.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would talk to your OB and ask them to give you some numbers. Every woman is different and every pregnancy is too! Not gaining ANY weight may impact the health of your developing child so even though you're trying to gain, you may need to. maybe ask how much exercise is ok at this stage of your pregnancy and stay fit and healthy by keeping track of your weight gain!
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 12:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My doctor always told me total weight gain should be 20-30 pounds MAX. She also got really mad when I told her that WIC told me I should gain AT LEAST 50 pounds. I think I'll go with what my doctor says, but I have issues with WIC.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• How far along are you?
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You shouldnt really be dieting too much in pregnancy, your baby doesnt give a shit that you're getting fat lol. You should wait til after the pregnancy and then woryr about weight loss. Make your goal to just not gain too much weight. You are going to get heavier no matter what, theres a baby in there.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Ask your doctor. You only need about 100 extra calories in your first trimester, 200 in the second and 300 a day in the third. Your weight gain should go along with how your weight is now- how overweight are you? I'm very overweight, so my doc advised me not to gain any weight, but you really should ask YOUR provider for YOUR situation.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:49 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You should do whatever your Doctor says! But having some weight gain would be important especially in the latter part of pregnancy I would think so you have the extra energy for delivery and recouperation.
    csanderson1

Answer by csanderson1 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Fifty pounds!?! Holy crap. I've heard that amount for TWINS but not for ONE baby. I was healthy weight when I got pregnant (5'3, 130) and my MD told me that she wanted me to gain between 15-25 pounds. I'm 26 weeks and have gained 7 pounds thus far, so I'll probably be on track for about a 20 pound gain. It really does depends on the individual person. Were you underweight to begin with? An underweight person may need to gain 35-40 pounds, just to ensure that the baby is getting the nutrients it needs. My girlfriend was overweight when she got pregnant, had horrible nausea the entire pregnancy and ended up losing 40 pounds by the time she delivered. Her doc was ok with that because she was still getting her prenatal vitamins in and even after she delivered, she was still about 20 pounds over-weight. She did gain it back after her son was born. LOL
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think you should stop counting cals and make the most of the only time it's OK to put on weight!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 8:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm still in my first trimester and very overweight. I gained a lot during my first pregnancy and developed uncontrolled bp's and had a close call with gestational diabetes. My goal is to just keep the gain under control this time and stay healthy. My eating habits are much healthier since first pregnancy and, frankly, I find it difficult some days to eat as many calories as I burn. I'm not losing weight, but I'm not gaining either. Don't know if that's the healthiest thing to do for either of us.
    Kitkat61277

Comment by Kitkat61277 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011