Should I get a second cat

We just got a kitten a few days ago. She's currently an "only cat". Would it be wise to get another cat so she has company while we're away. I'm sure that sounds silly but are cats the kind of animal that enjoy other cats around. She's 7 weeks old and I know from experience that introducing other cats to each other doesn't usually go well so I thought maybe doing so while she was still little would be the best time. But I could be wrong. I don't have to get another cat...I would be doing so mostly for her. Of course we would love the new cat as well and take care of her/him.

If you recommend I do get another one would it be best to get another female or a male. No matter what we get...and the one we currently have, will be spayed or neutered.

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Pets

• It is best if you introduce kittens to other cats when they are young. If you plan on getting another, I would get one about the same age (and try to get the same body type). If you have one tiny cat and one huge (even as kittens) you may have some problems. Fixed cats are less of a problem to introduce (no territory markings-read peeing on your furniture), and it shouldn't matter too much the gender. I tried to get cats that were similar personality types- very playful, energetic, yet willing to be held. I've introduced kittens together fairly well because kittens are curious and will play together instead of attacking and getting MAD. I've had lots of cats, but you can have too many so make sure YOU want another don't just get one for your first cat! Cats can do well alone OR together....My first cat was a one and only and she lived a happy eighteen years!
    hannahk

Answer by hannahk at 2:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Only cats have the life, lol. They tend to be more spoiled! We had an only cat for 4 years, and then introduced a new kitten of the opposite sex. Man was that cat MAD! It took a couple weeks for him to get over himself but now they are friends and play with each other! It is so cute to see them pounce around back and forth. They get along great. It really just depends on what you think you can handle. I don't recommend it if you don't have the finances to be sure they can go to the vet if a problem arises. Good luck and have fun picking out a new kitty if that's the route you choose to go!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I asked my vet when we got our kitten. If you do get one he suggested they be the same age, he said it would be like putting a energetic toddler with the elderly if one is mature & the other is not. I have two females together. One is ours that is 1&1/2 & then we acquired I'm sure a very mature female that came to live on our porch, she is inside now about two weeks. I haven't had any problems, but they stay away from one another though.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 6:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Oh how wonderful you saved a kitten. Another one the same age would be great. I have 4 cats, all rescues . Some were young and some were older. But they all get along well for being cats...lol We did build a feeding table and a high rise for them to climb on. Each has it's own scratching post and a bed on top of that for lounging around.Toys, toys toys, for all to play with. Made a cat walk in a room for them to explore and be creative like cats are. Keeps them busy playing hide and seek. So my hat off to you for rescuing another feline!

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2008