Potty Training

What age do you think is appropriate to start Potty Training??

hswasey

Asked by hswasey at 4:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 yrs old is a good age, but some kids potty train at 18 months and some don't potty train til 3+ yrs old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I started all of my kids after they turned 3. It only took 3 days each. If you start too early you will be training for months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Anywhere from 18 months to 3 years is what my daughter's pediatrician recommends. My daughter is 2 1/2 and doesn't show much interest at all even though we have been training for a little while now. Any earlier than 18 months and you are going to most likely be in for a long haul.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Trying to train too early can be exhausting. Power struggles can actually add to the time it takes to get out of diapers. I learned that with my first son. He finally trained at 3 yrs 3 months. With my second son I didn't want to repeat past mistakes so I waited until about 2.5 years and didn't make it much of an issue. He was out of diapers at 3 with very little stress.
    mythreesons278

Answer by mythreesons278 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my son is going to 4 on April 12th and he totally potty trained during the day he still has a few accidents at night but it is because he is such a sound sleeper. it takes time and patience and every child is different you can't put an age on when is a good time to start. I would just introduce them to the potty and let them get used to sitting on it with their clothes on at first and then sit them on it bare to let them try and go if they don't go the first couple times don't get discouraged Good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Google "toilet training readiness" and see some of the info there to consider if your child is ready or not
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Potty training is really about two things: physical readiness and maturity. That means if your child can hold their pee in for several hours at a time, they are physically ready. If they are mature enough they should be able to tell you that they are going and they seem interested in the potty. If you can get them going right when they are ready, it should be pretty easy for you. However, a recent study suggests that whether you start your kid early or not they won't be fully trained (number 1 and 2 in the potty) until they are at least 3. I'm letting my son gain interest in the potty, but I'm not going full throttle yet because I know he won't be truly invested yet and it'll only make me crazy to keep pushing him in that direction. He's almost 2 1/2, so we're testing his interest level and I'll slowly keep asking him if he wants to sit on the potty. We're doing it with pants down now, so we're making slow progress.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think when they show an interest in it, too soon, and it is more "training" you than them, my DS was 3 and within a weekend we were done! Let your child be your guide!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• when they can show interest in the potty, properly SAY what they have to do, and remove pants properly it's about time to start potty training.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am thinking to start potty train in a few month, like starts in June since its summer time which will be easier for put on/off clothes. My daughter is turn in 15 mths old at the end of this month. Hopefully it wont be that difficult
    Lucy124

Answer by Lucy124 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011