Am I depressed?

I've a 3 month old baby, and because DH is working long hours, I spend most of the day by myself, and get up through the night to bottle feed ect. But I find myself feeling lonely and teary if baby wont settle, I think I'm doing a good job as baby seems quite content most of the time, but when I'm alone all day I get sad, and get upset easily, I get frustrated when baby wont stop crying because I think I must be doing something wrong :( and feel useless :( My father was depressed most of his life and ended up comiting suicide several years ago, I believe his father suffered with depression, and I'm worried I'm going the same way. I love my family, my DH & baby, but I'm feeling quite low, I don't feel like I can talk to a doctor because the Health centre I'm registered at is where I used to work. Sureley I shouldn't still be feeling like this after 3 months? I feel as if I'm getting worse. Any advice would be great, thanks.

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 6:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• I had Post Pardum and it sounds exactly like what I was going through and how I felt. PPD can last a lot longer than that, it can start at just about any point and if left untreated can progress to the point where you could hurt yourself and or your baby. If you don't want something like that to happen, I strongly suggest that you talk to your doctor or health care provider about this asap. There is absolutely nothing to be embarassed about and the people you used to work with will tell you that. Get the help you and your baby needs. The baby is probably picking up on what you are feeling and can make them cry more. Also, talk to your baby's pediatrician, my daughter had colic that didn't set in right away, your baby could have that. I wish the both of you lots of luck. Take care of yourself and your baby.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Postpartum depression is common after having a baby. It can take months for it to come or go. Have you joined one of the support groups on this site? If you haven't, I highly recommend doing so. I'm in a Depression Support Group and I know there is one specifically for women going through "baby blues" after having a baby, but I can't remember the name of it. It's a great way to start. Also, if you haven't been around or cared for babies in the past, becoming a first-time mother is very overwhelming. My daughter-in-law worries about the same things with her 2 little ones. I'm a grandmother and a mother, but before I became a mother, I felt like one. I baby-sat in my teens for 3 small babies, ages 2 mos., 18 mos., and 3. I felt like their mother because I was the one to bathe them, dress them, feed them, experience their childhood diseases, first teeth, etc. When I had my own kids, it was a piece of cake sometimes.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Honestly, most of the time PPD doesn't even set in until the baby is between 3 and 6 months old. Mine didn't really get to me until my son was about 5 months, although the symptoms (same as yours) started appearing around 3 months. You should go see your Dr as soon as possible...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 7:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Sounds like post partum depression to me....and sure, you can feel this way even after 3 months. In fact, you can feel this way UP TO A YEAR after delivering......I know it sucks, but you do need to find somebody to talk to somewhere near you....Good luck!!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Please talk to your doctor about this. Mention the family history. There are many ways you can be helped. It is not something to be embarrassed about and don't worry what someone might think. It is a common problem and everyone knows it is. Take care of yourself so that baby has a happy mom. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I also wanted to say I hope you get out with the baby for a walk, go to the mall just to walk around, or talk to friends and family. You might also look at meetup.com for moms groups and play groups. Just ideas...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Thanks everyone, and Elizabr, I love taking baby for walks, but unfortunately I like in Wales, it rains a LOT here! But I'm thinking of putting a rain coat on and going out anyway, thanks again for your help :)
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well the best thing is to talk about it. There is a group on CM for PPD. Have you talked to DH?
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No I haven't, I feel ashamed even though I know I shouldn't, I'm a mother, I shouldn't be feeling like this and even though I know he'll be supportive I keep it all inside, I find it hard to admit I've got a problem, and instead of asking for help I end up snapping at him over silly things like when he leaves clothes on the floor or doesn't clean up after himself.
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have major depressive disorder, along with some other things, and what you're describing is almost exactly how I felt before I was diagnosed. You need to talk to your doc, and if you feel like you can't talk to your doc, then you need to find one that you CAN talk to. Trust me- the doctor has heard everything, and he's probably heard MUCH worse before.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2011