What do you pack when going to a large theme park?

We'll be going to Dollywood in Tn for 1 1/2 days, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on misc. items like bandaids and sunblock. Do you pack a backpack and what do you take?

kristybagley

Asked by kristybagley at 7:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't weigh myself down with a lot of stuff. Put sunblock on before you go. I wouldn't take band aids. I would just take money, maybe a small snack.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• mompam, sunblock should be reapplied every few hours. I would bring lot of snacks as well, you will save a TON. We go to Disney World a lot with my 4 year old and I can't tell you how much money we save buy bringing out own snacks and water bottles too (which you can refill at the water fountains).
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I always carried a backpack so my hands were free. A water bottle to refill, small snacks, sunblock. Don't for get to wear a hat. You don't want the bag too heavy but you can save alot by bringing your own water bottle and refilling it as well as snacks. I have at times brought lunch in a cooler then walked out to car to eat lunch! That depends on size of the parking lot!
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 7:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• pack a cooler with food, leave it in your car & exit the park to eat. We do that every park we go to. Just carry a small clutch with money & sunblock.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The park website said to not bring in snacks/ drinks. But the resturants and shops give out free water as well as having water fountains. We'll have a wagon or strollers for twins, not sure yet. And we'll go out and have lunch too. Thanks.
    kristybagley

Comment by kristybagley (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I take sunblock and they all say not to bring in food but everyone does. If you have a small child you can bring things in for them, they usually never say anything. I generally bring a couple bottled waters for the kids and we can refill them free at the park rather then pay too much for bottled water there. I also pack snacks, sandwiches, sodas and all of that and put it in a cooler in the car. We go out to the car for lunch so I dont have to pay $5 for a hamburger.

Answer by gemgem at 8:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We go to DOllywood every year, and first off stay at thehotel right out the gate , it looks like a cabin! It is awesome we stay there every year! Also pack all the nesscessities! But inside is not that pricey! HAVE FUN!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I plan on taking small snacks and refillable water bottles, sunblock, bandaids, money, baby wipes because they can clean up just about anything,
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If you're not bringing in a drink or food I'd bring Sunblock and a small first aid kit (not heavy at all and not bulky...but if you need something it's great). Ya never know if someone is going to fall and skin their hands or knees and it's just best to have it with you instead of having to rush off to find somewhere. But that's just me.
    elliesmum06

Answer by elliesmum06 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I pack as little as possible for inside to keep me free as possible and keep emergency items (extra clothes, rain gear, first aid kit and the what if stuff ). I pack extra drinks/snacks for the car in a cooler for the end of the day or a mid afternoon break and try to be sure we are all full before we leave so we can spend less and do more. I apply sunblock before arrival. You might want to read the reviews on tripadvisor.com because with larger parks there are all sorts of tips on how to save money, what is a rip off, what is worth keeping, stroller advice and so on.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2011