We're going on a road trip 5 1/2 hrs. and we have 2 yr. old twins and a 5 yr old. any suggestions for activites?

Thought about crayons and color books and of course candy for tempers.

kristybagley

Asked by kristybagley at 7:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• We brought a portable DVD player and Blue Clue's DVD when we took our 2 year old on a road trip.
    Books can cause motion sickness so I avoid them just in case.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:49 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We're not going to buy a dvd player for this trip, diffently on the next list though. And yes I get very sick while riding and trying to read.
    kristybagley

Comment by kristybagley (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Do you have a laptop that you can use to play movies? I personally wouldn't do a road trip without some kind of player cuz reading/coloring in the car gives my family motion sickness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• http://www.amazon.com/Rubberneckers-Jr-Fun-Backseat-Travelers/dp/0811837335#_ It’s a fun little card game that involves picking a card from a deck and finding the item pictured on the card somewhere inside or outside of the car.  The cards are colorful and fun and really make the kids look outside the window and observe what’s around them. For example, one card will say "Get someone from another car to give you a peace sign".

Play an audio story. Play a children's song cd in the car.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Go around nap time :) We make a 16 trip (one way) every 6 months. We don't stop and the kids never end up playing with much. They just talk to each other and play with small toys such as polly pockets or hot wheels. They also usually sleep.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:03 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I do have a laptop, I'll borrow some dvds. And we plan on stopping once and do somethings hoping maybe theyll nap after that for a while. Great ideas.
    kristybagley

Comment by kristybagley (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Why would you give your kids candy for tempers? I agree with going around nap time, and also bringing a portable dvd player. That will make a road trip much easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Along with other ideas pack extra healthy snacks in case you are caught in bad traffic. It's awful when you cannot get off the road between exits in traffic. Have a great trip.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• They never get candy and they no its a real treat and its something to earn. I think I'll rent dvds at Blockbuster/Redbox and you can return in any city and get a new one sounds good to me.
    kristybagley

Comment by kristybagley (original poster) at 8:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We went last year when our DS was 11months and he had to get out and stretch his legs every couple of hours. This year he will be 23 months when we go on a 12 hour drive and we are borrowing a portable DVD player from a friend. Plus I have a try I bought from Target that goes across the carseat. It's like a pillow on the bottom but a hard flat suface on top. This is so he has somewhere to roll his cars. Last year since he was still rear faceing we put a mirror and pictures of his favorite people and things so he wouldn't be alone.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2011