Christian moms with children in public school?

My oldest DD is 4 and is in preschool but will be going to kindergarten next yr and I'm concerned about her picking up bad behavior/habits/words etc. from other children at school. She has already picked up the word stupid from a child in her pre k class. We are conservative baptist and we don't say any negative words in our home and I'm starting to realize that it's going to be difficult to keep her away from the wrong infulences. So how do you mothers do it? We can't afford the private christian schools in our area(its $470/month) and we can't afford the homeschool programs(also I'm afraid she might fall behind if we homeschool). Any advice on how you teach your children to be good christians with all the bad infulences in the world today. Thank you.

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:00 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• We just deal with situations as they arise. When my daughter was in kindergarten, she came home saying she read the 'F" word on the bathroom wall. We just simply told her that she is better than that word and not to say it. We try to teach our kids how to live a Christian life in a sinful world. We take them to church, we teach them about God in our home. Your children will be an influence on their peers one day too, don't forget that. If she comes home telling me of how this girl or that girl isn't nice to her, we pray for that child. It helps my daughter alot. Address each situation as it comes up in a Christian way and you'll be just fine.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You correct as you see it. Your child is going to be out in the world and needs to learn how to discern bad habits from bad people.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You can home school for free there are a lot of books on it. She may or may not pick up bad words you let her know it is not alright to say them. My 4 year olds learned to call things stupid in prek too. 5 mins of time out and 2 days with no TV and a very long talk later they no longer say it. I am not a christian, but I think the same thing will work for your kid too. Good luck mama.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Tough question. Just keep reinforcing your rules and beliefs at home. She will be exposed to all of this eventually. You should take care of it now while she is young and still willing to listen to you. I am sure they probably heard that stuff from kids like mine.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Thank you CaseyErin very good advice :)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Comment by L0vingMy3Girls (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with the pp's - you just address it as it comes. If the influence is a particular person, you can explain to them that they (your children) can choose to be a good influence on others, or they (your children) can choose to have others be a bad influence on them. If they are being a good influence, or being influenced in a good way by the others, then fine. If not, and the other person is being a bad influence on your child then there's a problem, and you (as a parent) will have to re-consider how much time they're allowed to spend with the other child or children.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2011