Do you believe that you can lose your salvation?

Or do you believe "once saved, always saved"?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 8:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Salvation is an on going thing, something we need to work on everyday. We can turn our back on God one minute and be back with him the next. Those who know that we lose our salvation continues to work on how we treat people, are we kind? are we honest? do we do our best to try to bring out the best in others. Do we remember to Thank God? put him first in our hearts? try to understand his calling for us? Or do we do what we want? ask for what we want instead of what's best for the grand scheme of things? Some might say what I'm about to say isn't kind. It is, for showing others ( after we have examined the plank in our eye) their mistakes or thoughtlessness trying to put them back on the path is kind. I've noticed here that those who understand that salvation is ongoing, are much kinder in their answers more understanding of why people believe the way that they do, then those who believe once saved always saved.
    daps

Answer by daps at 3:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't believe in a literal need for salvation. But, IF I did, I would believe that it can be lost. Once saved, always saved is flawed IMO. I would also believe that it takes more than faith 'to be saved'. Actions matter. Jesus said the greatest commandments were to love God and to love our neighbors (and enemies).

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."~Matthew 7:21

"What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."~James 2:14-17
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes. But I believe in order to lose your salvation, you have to deliberately turn your back on God. There is a difference between someone who says,"Forget you!" to God and someone who is a struggling but penitent sinner.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 8:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no on will take your crown. Rev 3:11

This verse makes me think that you can lose your salvation.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't believe in that 'once saved, always saved' crap. If that were they case, then Heaven could be full of murderers and child molesters. If all you had to do was be 'saved' once, then you're free to do whatever you please after that. Now, that being said, I do believe that if you are 'saved', then most likely you are wanting to do things to please God and not to lose the gift He's given. However, we are only human, and it is possible to turn your back on God in favor of something else. That would cause you to lose salvation, I guess.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I do believe that once you are saved that nothing can sever that. That does not give us the okay to live like there are no consequences to our actions. If you are truly saved then you don't want to go back to living like you did before.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The idea of salvation is curious to me. If there were a god, I'd think that what would be more important to him or her would be that a person tries to be compassionate and considerate than harboring a belief in and worshipping him/her. It's a strange concept to me that a god would be more interested in that sort of egocentric focus than the actions of his/her creations. The idea that a person can "sin" but still enter the "gates of Heaven" as long as he accepts Jesus as his Savior, but another person who can do her best to treat others with kindness, treat the earth with gentleness, and in general be a good and hard-working person, would be denied this "eternal salvation" simply because she doesn't believe that there is a god. It's an idea that never settled with me when I was a Christian.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't and never have believed in the "once saved always saved" thing. I don't believe I need to be saved by anything other than myself. There are consequences for every action either it be good or bad and that isn't going to change because you are "saved". Your actions speak louder than words and if you expect to get in to this place that people believe is heaven I think it is going to take a lot more than that
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• the 'once saved, always saved' theory works if you are a penitent person. i believe you CAN lose your salvation by choosing to turn your back on God and his love/mercy/grace. its as much a choice to receive the gift/offer, as it is to keep it.
    just being born does not guarantee your place in Heaven. if that were the case, you could go around living willynilly and never think about God, even reject Him, and still stand inside the pearly gates. scripture DOES NOT support that kind of false thinking.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It may depend upon what you feel you have been saved FROM. I truely felt that I had it, when I was a christian. But I willingly gave it up when I couldn't figure out what the salvation was actually FOR. When it no longer had any value to me.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011