Won't stop scratching

My 6yo DD stratches his body everywhere until he is near bleeding, and sometimes til he's bleeding and just says it itches all over. He does this everytime he gets back from his dad's house (he is with dad more than me) they have a great relationship and he is a great daddy. But his dad says he does it at his house too. I tried changing laundry detergent, different air fiters in the A/C vents. The stratches look like welts by the time he's done scratching. Any thoughts on what it could be? Nobody smokes around him either.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 8:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• maybe not what is around him but what goes into him?

my daughter had itchy rash doctor could not figure out

lightbulb moment....i looked at food labels
    found red #40 and looked on internet
    it is a LAKE dye, artifical food dyes (yellow 5 and blue 1 big ones used too)

took out all lake dyes from her diet
    rash stopped in a day, took weeks for redness and 'scars' to go away, but itching stopped in a day

google
    red 40

Lake dyes are made from coal tar nad banned in many other countries
    if you find a website that says FDA says it is fine, look further, read what other parents say about how it effects their child, also took out of my diet-i do not have 2 and a half day migraines any more, can case sever headaches, and can cause negative behavior issues, daughter improved huge after none in diet, besides her rash better

do NOT think it is only in red colored food,

hope this
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:43 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Sounds like my might be allergic to the sheets. What laundry detergent does he use? I am someone who has the same problem. It might even be as simple as the soap he might be using in the shower as well. Or even the bleach used to clean.
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 8:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• maybe hives? My son did that at the beginning of this school year. I ended up having to take him to the dr and getting a steroid to get the hives under control then a daily med to keep them from flaring back up. He had them for a whole month and I felt so bad for him. He had red welts all over his body to the point of when they went away there were bruises in their place.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 8:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Its an allergy. You guys should sit down and find the differences in the houses, change things, and see if that works. (Like if he has a dog and you dont, the dog needs to take a vacation).
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• what about putting a anti itch cream on it or take him to dr to have them do an allergy test
    halo4

Answer by halo4 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I do put cream on him and that stops it temporarily, and he does have allergies and allergic to almost everything outside and he takes inhalers w/steriods in them already. I just feel soooo bad for him, I usually get him in the bath to help, but again only temporary.....
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Take him to a dermatologist, he might have eczema.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Thanks ladies :) Just to add, just trying to give as much info as possible. This itching thing he has going on just started about 3 months ago and its not everyday, and it doesn't start out as a rash (I check him) he just starts scratching and where he scratching there is nothing visible on the outside. But I will now make an appt. w/dermatoligist.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2011