Why wont he eat?

My son is 17 months old, and he doesnt really eat much. A couple of months ago he wouldnt stop eating! Is this normal? He'll eat bits of his food. I try to feed him the stuff he usually really likes eating, that didnt work. I tried to feed him stuff that he didnt like that, well..you know how that went. And I tried stuff that he hasn't eaten before (he wont even touch that). What should I do?

He's really thin too (always has been) so I'm a little concerned. He's starting to look like a neglected child =(

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 8:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids go through these stages throughout their lives. I have 3 kids ages 15yrs, 7yrs, and 3yrs old. There are times when I can't seem to fill them up, then other times I can only get them to eat 1 bite of food if that, and they are done. I wouldn't "force" him to eat. My Pediatrician told me when they get hungry enough, they will eat! As long as you get a little something in their tummy it won't hurt them.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 8:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• That is probably pretty normal to go through stages like that. My daughter sometimes is just not interested in eating much at all. Her pediatrician says that when they are wanting to eat a lot then they are going through one of the growth spurts and then after that they may not have a need for so much. Also, she suggested children's vitamins to give during those times. Find some in your child's favorite cartoon character or something like that. Just make sure your child is drinking plenty fluids. If you are still concerned just call your ped. and voice your concerns. Good luck.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with kdunker. Offer healthy foods and let him pick and choose. He will not starve and you want to avoid food becoming a battle. We had food battles with our youngest and it is one of the biggest regrets we had and that was over 20 years ago. Relax and know he will go through different phases as he grows.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• all children go through this my toddler went through the same thing recently just keep offering food to him and let him eat whatever he wants
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• its a stage. let him pick out food he likes.. drinks after meals not before or half hour before meals. note that that large ingestion was probably a growth sprout.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011