Do you home school? Are you planning to home school?

Many parents have opted to home school their children. If you are home schooling or planning to, what are some of the greatest advantages for your children?

If homeschooling, how much social interaction does your child get with their peers?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in

• We do. I never felt as strongly about homeschooling until I taught in the public school system. The education standards in my county are low, and the behavior standards are worse yet.

I want my daughters to have high standards and be able to compete appropriately once they enter the workforce, and I just didn't think that was going to happen by putting them in public school. I love being able to move on once my child has mastered something, review what SHE needs reviewed, and spend extra time on things she is struggling. I am free to change my curriculum to include current events (i.e. we spent a week discussing natural disasters after the tsunami/earthquakes in Japan, and when we had a local oil spill, we were able to take field trips I know she learned something from and will remember).

I can also tell you the expense is minimal compared to what the schools receive for each child. I doubt I have spent more than $1000 con
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I home school my 3 year old daughter. She is far more advanced than any other 3 year old I know. She can read, write, do math, speak spanish, work on science experiements, etc.

She does lots of things to interact with others her age, actually she usually plays with kids that are a bit older than her, because they are more on her level than the other kids her age. We do play dates, museums, beach, parks, home school meet ups, etc. She interacts with other children almost daily.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• on everything, and that includes a LOT of manipulatives, the books, various supplies, kits (plants to plant, tadpoles to study, paper, pencils, word cards, pattern blocks, flash cards, clocks, workbooks, my printer, ink, supplies etc). AND her gymnastics, tee ball, and soccer lessons for the year.

She gets a lot of interaction through her sports and family. It has been a really positive experience. I think more people should be considering how much they give schools per child and what the outcomes are versus what the could provide at home...it might upset you a great deal. Keep in mind, this is coming from a teacher.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I home-school my two boys, and we love everything about it. We love the extra family time, we love the freedom, we love visiting museums and other places while everyone else is stuck in school (work). We love that my boys are able to follow their interests and learn the things that are important to them and their lives. The list goes on and on.

Honestly, the social stigma that is attached to home-schoolers is a non-issue in todays world. People who know very little about home-schooling bring it up, but those of us in the community know that it isn't even worth talking about. I could take my boys to a park full of public schooled kids, and you wouldn't be able to pick them out from the crowd.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am looking into homeschooling but not sure the cost and if we can afford it. My children have lots of cousins and also play dates with the children from our church.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I've considered it. And if my kids are ever picked on to the point it's a dangerous situation at school, they will be homeschooled
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No, and No.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I will home school three in the fall. It will cost us less for all three, than the one we were paying tuition for. I'm looking forward to it. We are going to be so busy with our co-op, field trips, activities etc. I don't have to worry about my kids coming home with a reminder notice that no talking is allowed. Tired of hearing "you are here to learn, not make friends." I also don't have to worry about bullies. They will get more attention than a 28:1 ratio.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My oldest son is homeschooled. He had many struggles socially and academically in public school and it just wasn't the best learning environment for him (and likewise his presence there was not particularly condusive to it being a good learning environment for others). The greatest advantages for us have been being able to tailor the content of his curriculum to both his interests and his abilities, and he's made huge gains academically. His school is very supportive both of our homeschool efforts and keeing the door open for him to return to public school at a later date if we choose to do that. He still goes to school for 2 afternoons a week and participates in sports and other activities through the school. He also participates in an outdoor environmental learning program 1 day a week and participates in other group and social activities with both public school and homeschooled friends.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• This is my third year homeschooling. The advantages; less illnesses in the home, student teacher ratio cut down drastically, more parent involvement, more time for extra curriculars, and the list goes on. My kids are each in 2 activities a week right now, plus church. However, I don't think being in a large group of children their own age regularly is of great importance like so many NON-homeschoolers think it is. They are out in the real world, dealing with real situations, and real people of all ages and backgrounds. They are very social, and most people looked shocked when they hear they're homeschooled. I'm thrilled that I'm able to do this :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2011