Does anyone else believe we need Auto insurance reform?

If I've posted this improperly I'm sure it will be moved but I think I"m okay.

I had a car accident a few weeks ago, not my fault. Dealing with the claims people is an absolute nightmare. I've been jerked around and short of calling and harrassing people there's nothing I can do. Our local TV stations are filled with commercials for Personal Injury attorneys, one right after another. (which I may wind up calling if this runaround continues) If the insurance company would follow through and do the job they're supposed to do no attorney would be necessary.

What do you think?

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 9:03 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Is there anything your insurance can do to speed things up. If not make the call and let them handle it.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Do you have an agent? If so, put that person to work for you. They make money on your policy.

Knock on wood, but I haven't had an issue with my auto insurance. They have been pretty good when I have needed them. I was the lucky recipient of some horrible door dings when parked in a shopping center and of course the guilty party left no notes. My agent took care of everything and even found a way for me to save money on my deductible.

Either way, I hope you get some action and answers on this soon.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it depends on which company insures your car. My company USAA is excellent. I have only been in one accident---a woman rear-ended my car in rush hour traffic.My company contacted her company and they processed my claim quickly. My car was repaired and back to normal within weeks. I might add that I was very professional, cordial and polite on the phone with everyone and they responded in kind....you get treated better if you start out being cooperative and polite.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

•  I might add that I was very professional, cordial and polite on the phone with everyone and they responded in kind....you get treated better if you start out being cooperative and polite.

Snarky and rude much minnesotanotsonice.  I know you don't understand what I write and blah, blah, blah.

OP every insurance company is different and all have people who work from them who have no clue what they are doing.  I would contact them again let them know you are trying to be patient but you need some answers.  If they don't give you answers you should let them know you will get your own attorney who will work on your behalf I suspect they will speed up the process at that point.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Your insurance company should be handling the bulk of this. Your insurance company includes your agent as Quinn suggested. Why aren't they acting on your behalf?

Please don't get an attorney involved unless there is no other option. The only one that "wins" is the attorney...plus this is one of the things that makes insurance go up for everyone.

Good luck.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• YSK is 100% correct-
    The auto insurance industry is tightly regulated already- more so than the attys-
    Whose insurance are you dealing with- yours or the other drivers? If you are dealing with the other drivers and they have cut-rate insurance if you have good insurance you could consider filing a claim through your own company- if you are not at fault it will not increase your rates- you will only be out your deductible until they recover it from the other company- it may be worth it to go that route and save the headache-
    Getting an atty involved will likely increase your wait time on your claim-
    If you are using your own insurance and are getting the run around- after this claim is settled-get another company- cut rate insurance normally has horrible claims processing-if you are able- steer clear of them!
    Good luck!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I do but. That is because I live in michigan.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think you need a new insurance company. I don't know if they are national but we have had Amica for years and have never ever had a problem. When some lady backed into me in a parking lot(on her cell phone) the cops wouldn't come out because it was in a parking lot but had I needed them to they would have. My car was not hurt but hers was. LOL Anyway they took all the information and said don't worry about it. If the ladies ins company contacted them they would take care of it. Anytime we have a rock chip or broken windshield, they tell us to take it to so and so and have it fixed. What you need is a good insurance company. I'd start looking NOW.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• ....you get treated better if you start out being cooperative and polite

Are you presuming I'm being rude and nasty? Most people I've discussed this with have told me I'm being too nice. My van sat for 2 weeks without even being looked at by an adjuster when I was told it would happen within 4 days of my original phone call to report the claim.  Am I getting annoyed? Heck yeah. Am I mistreating people? No, it's not in my character to do that.

sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My insurance is not the problem it's the other drivers. I am going to pursue things with my insurance from here on out to see if I can get further. An attorney would be my absolute last resort. Fees go up and red tape and complications increase exponentially.

I'm in physical therapy for what is essentially a whiplash type injury. I've received medical forms from my insurance but not from the other company who is supposed to be paying for it. I've requsted them three times. I'm paying out of pocket an it's adding up. I'm frustrated and feel like something should be done to protect the good drivers from dealing with this type of things.
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011