What do you think of Wicca; real religion or not?

I am a proud Wiccan, but I get really tired of people insulting me because of my spiritual beliefs. I want to know what other people think about it, and what do you think I should say when I am confronted?

Deelizabeth

Asked by Deelizabeth at 9:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Real....of course!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't know much about wicca, but nobody should insult you for what you believe. Tell them that is their opinion, but it really is none of their buisness.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• if its not real, then there's a lot of disillusioned people out here!

if people are constantly ragging on you for your beliefs, you've got to start hanging out with different people! they can't be people who love or care about you too much if this is a constant  problem. now, if it strangers, you're either going into environments that are already hostile, or bringing it on yourself. i mean, most strangers won't know what your personal spiritual beliefs are without you telling them. if they balk at that point, walk away. they aren't worth your time or energy. 

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Wicca is an Organized Belief System, meaning that while there are subtle differences in beliefs from style to style or person to person, the basic beliefs and understandings are going to be the same for all those following a Wiccan Path. So yes, Wicca is a "Real Religion." Now, you can be more of a Spiritual Wiccan than a "Religious" one, but Wicca isn't any less of a religion because of it.

Just to show you a contrast, I am Eclectic Pagan Witch. When asked my religion that's what I say. However, the difference is Paganism, especially Eclectic Paganism, is the opposite of organized! Each and every Pagan finds their own path. There are no written rules or guides beyond their heart and mind. So Paganism isn't REALLY a religion because it's an UnOrganized Belief...

So, Religion = Organized Beliefs (all followers believe similarly)
    Non-Religious Spiritual Path = Unorganized Beliefs

Make sense?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes, I think it's real. I actually practiced it for several years--many years ago. As Sabrina pointed out, it depends how you define the word 'religion', but I tend to be inclusive in my definition of religion. For example, sometimes Buddhism is included as a religion and sometimes it's not--just depends how religion is defined. So, same thing with Wicca IMO, but for slightly different reasons. However you define religion, it's most definitely a valid spiritual path for each person who chooses it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'm a Wiccan too. It's what you know about yourself. Tell everyone else to take a leap. It is a faith recognized by the government of the US. If anyone has a problem with it just bring up that little fact.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well...being that the UNITED STATES MILITARY (and therefore, our own government) acknowledges Wicca as one on the list of respected and honored religions (you can now have a pentacle on your grave stone if you die in service) I think it's fair to say there is legitimate claim that it's REAL enough LOL
    It's harder in my opinion to be on the fringe of labels...as I am. I don't consider myself Wiccan any more, but a Pagan/Buddhist/Universalist/Witch :) Our spirituality and practice are personal and not always comfortably fitting in a neat package...so if someone questions your faith...they are not worth your energy now are they?

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Since Wicca is a part of my belief system...its real.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• its real to you right? Then don't let those other people get to you.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have seen it categorized as both a religion and a belief system on here by those that practice- so yes, I would say its real- if you decide to say its your religion- great ; if you decide to say its your belief system-great

I agree with Dull, if you are hanging out with people that are not supportive- weed your garden and find those that can find value in what you value-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2011