Is c-section at 37 weeks too early?

I have a c-section scheduled on the day I will be 39 weeks. (Yes, it is medically necessary. I'm unable to deliver vaginally.) The dr said he would normally do the section at 38 weeks but he is on vacation that week, so he scheduled it for a week later. I trust his judgment but I'm just wondering if drs ever do sections at 37 weeks (or almost 38?) My primary concern is that I'll go into labor during the week he's on vacation. I live very very far from the hospital.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• 37 wks is considered full term, so if you do go into labor, they won't stop you.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• No my friend was induced for her own reasons and ended up with a c-sec ay 37 because she couldnt deliver.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 8:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• hon even if you do go into labor, they know that you will need a c-section... dont worry i asked my doctor what the different between a scheduled C and an emergency C, he said nothing, protocol is still the same, most women who get emergency C's arent that, they are just unplanned ones... you'll be fine... your doctor may not be there if its while he/she is on vacation, but there is about 20 doctors at any time avail to do so. Funny when i had mine, the thing that hurt the most of the I.V. that damn nurse nailed me good, lol but no worries... take care, if you need anything else, msg me
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I wouldnt do it at 37 weeks and I dont think most will. Most wait until 38 or 39 and I agree witht the other people. Even if you go into labor you will have plenty of time to make it there for a c-section. The docs have been through it before and are way more prepared than the Moms think. Good luck!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Our docs did scheduled c's at 39 weeks. My friend was in the same situation as you so they did an amnio the day before. Even though 37 is considered full term her baby's lungs weren't developed so they didn't go through with the surgery. Keep in mind docs can be off by your due date plus or minus 2 weeks so your baby could really be 35 weeks or 39 weeks when they say it's 37. Good luck!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the responses.
    Anonymous

• SOME DRs consider 35 weeks full term and depending on how the baby is doing. I having a c section Jan 26.Im not due til the 4th of Feb. Dont worry :) If you go into labor you will get a c section because it either what you wanted or need. They wont force you do do anything you domt wanna do. :) Good luck and congrats :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Wait as long as possible. I let them take my son at 39 weeks and he wasn't ready. It's not fun to leave the hospital without your baby becuase you didn't feel like being pregnant anymore.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I had a csection at 37 weeks because of severe preeclampsia. Of course it's better to wait, but in my case, my liver was shutting down, and my health was more important. She was FINE (8'3"!!!!!) Her only major issue was falling asleep while eating so hger blood sugar was low for 2 days, then she got jaundice. After 2 weeks- no problem. Remember that sometimes they have to deliver even earlier. ALthough it's not ideal, modern medicine can do wonders with premie babies.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I would just wait till the 39 weeks. It would be better for the baby, to let him bake for a 2 more weeks. Some babies are ready and some are not. I had 2, one 5 days til and one 3 days till my due date( 40 wks) and the last one was 36 wks and 6 days. She was 7 lb and 14 oz.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 12:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2008