Whining 3.5 yr old

my 3 .5 yr old is constantly whining.... about everything... ive heard that if you just ignore it and calmly explain to them it will stop... a friend of mine ( whose opinion is eh...) says i need to "deal with it" with timeouts and punishment bc if i just ignore it it will " just get worse" .... thoughts...

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm there with you right now.

I send her to her room. If she cannot talk properly, then I do not have to listen to it. That usually makes her stop.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mommy can only take so much whining before you go nuts and I would not agree with your friend : ) Maybe do it back to her? lol probably not good either.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'm also right in the thick of it with my soon to be 3 yo. If she can't use her "big girl" voice and words, then I tell her to come back when she can. It's so flipping frustrating though!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with the above post. I tell Jay to stop take a deep breath and use his normal voice so I can help him figure out how to solve the problem.
    Holland04

Answer by Holland04 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i agree its super frustrating and sometimes i want to throw him out the window ( i would never obviously) but i usually just wait him out and say something like these are your choices blah blah blah... my friends kind of annoying.. she constantly complains about everything and thinks my kids are the devil... like i was telling her about the whining and shes like oh no hes gotta stop that.. oh dont do that itll just get worse ...
    zperez0809

Comment by zperez0809 (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Does your friend even have kids? lol that's what 3yos do!
    When mine as a bit older, like 4, I sent him to his room. He could whine and ry in there as much as he wanted. When he pulled himself together he could come out and we would talk about it. He's 5 now and if he feels a little whiny he goes to his room on his own lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• she has 3 kids ! 8 5 and 1 .... .apparently her children do the same thing but mine are just hopeless... or im a badm other whatever works for u i guess
    zperez0809

Comment by zperez0809 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My 3.9 year-old DD has been a bit whiny as well. When I am at my wits-end with it, I send her to her room and tell her to come back and talk to me when she can use her big-girl voice. BUT -- A friend and I took our girls (both almost 4) last weekend to play putt-putt with a plan to go to the park after -- of course the girls immediately started whining -- both of them -- so we did it right back to them when we got the park! OMG they were embarassed, my DD was blushing and looking around at people staring at us -- she said -- MOMMY ... PLEASE QUIT! haha -- paybacks are great!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am a BIG fan of playful parenting. Something like this is not something I would ever "punish". I don't like to ignore things either...unless the specific situation feels like you should. When my 3 yo DS is whiny, I do a little "I can't hear you" game. I pretend I don't hear him or I can't understand him (with a little smirk) until he speaks with his manners. This works 95% of the time. If he's in a real "mood"...then he's already beyond reason...and usually just needs some attention, but I don't give the "snack" or whatever he asks for until he uses manners.

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 3:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• also, like so many things...I believe that punishing, time-outing and drawing negative focus on every little annoying behavior causes more harm than good. Usually, it just tells the child "you are annoying" or "you can get a lot of attention by being annoying". Neither are messages I imagine mothers want to send!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 3:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011