HELP!! My 5-year-old doesn't listen!

Hey moms. My 5-year-old son just does not listen. We tell him to do something and he does the opposite; lately he's been extremely rude too. I don't know where he gets this from. He was always taught to be respectful and kind. All of a sudden he's this little kid that I don't know. He is my one and only and don't know what I'm doing wrong. When he is at school, he is perfect; if he's at a friend's house, he's perfect. Do they all act this way for their parents?

Jerseymom1228

Asked by Jerseymom1228 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, this is very normal. I used A LOT of reverse psychology with my kids at 5. It works wonders! Boys especially. Remind him that while you are proud of him for behaving at school and friends homes, that he needs to also behave and obey at home. Mine always behave better away from home, and everyone says what perfect little angels, (eh hem!) they are! I ask them if they are SURE they have the right kids! Children are often less obedient at home b/c they feel more able to express themselves. Be thankful that he minds his manners away from home!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I agree with babylove 100%. In addition you said that he is five, if this is his first year of school he may be picking up alot of things from other children.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 8:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I agree w/ the above posters....but most of all be consistant in your discipline so that his behavior at home doesn't get any worse.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 11:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2008