Same Beliefs?

Do you and DH share the same Beliefs? If not does it ever cause an issue in your home? Have you decided to raise your children with Yours or DH's Beliefs (that is if they are different)?

Spazztic1

Asked by Spazztic1 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• im greek orthodox and my husband is catholic... we have raised the kids g.o. bc hes not a practicing catholic and it was more important to me than him... the religions are not that different so it never really caused an issue
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am sure you agree that it is important to have this discussion before you get married. This is one of those make or brake subjects.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am an Eclectic Pagan Witch, my DH is a non-practicing Christian.
    It doesn't cause issues because we don't let it. I walk my path, he chooses not to walk his, but of course that's his option. Neither of us push on the other.
    We don't raise our children with either. We are exposing our children to many belief systems through story, song and celebration. They participate in celebrations from both my path and his, and I hope to expand that. Neither of us believe that it's our place to choose a path for our children, we prefer to give them a basic understanding of many options and allow them to pick their own path.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• for the most part, we're on the same page. we just read the words a little differently. the important thing is we both agree on the end of the story.
    the end.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Share same belief.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It is a very important discussion to have before you get married but I know a lot of people who thought it really didn't matter. They didn't plan to have kids or thought it would just work out.

DH and I are both Jewish. We were raised in very different Jewish households. We have had discussions about how we would do certain things. We tend towards the way he was raised because I was already gravitating to a more traditional version compared to how I was raised. We were lucky that it hasn't been hard.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:47 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• same-both atheist
    no issues here-we want them to decide what they believe, and encourage them to research and learn
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We came into our faith together after we were already married, so yes we share the same beliefs. I'm VERY glad for that.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We are very similar, but not quite the same. We're both Pantheists, but I practice Buddhism more and he practices Taoism more (but we're both interested and follow some aspects of both Buddhism and Taoism). We also have a similar background, except he was raised in a more conservative Christian church (Southern Baptist) than I was (Presbyterian). We've also both explored neo-pagan paths as well (Wicca and Chaos Magick).

It hasn't caused any problems, since we're quite similar. We debate on occasion. The only 'disagreement' we had recently was whether we should teach my son about religion (or 'that nonsense' to use my DH's words) at all, but I think he saw some of my points about teaching him the basics of all religions, so he can make an informed choice when he gets older, hopefully respects others, and so he's informed and prepared for those who will inevitably try to use fear to convert him or try to indoctrinate him.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Share similar beliefs. Not 100% the same but we agree on almost everything.

We dont raise our kids one way or the other, they have a question and we answer it how we believe and with our 7 yr old(he's the oldest)we say others believe XYZ as well.

They will choose their own path.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2011