Peas

I live in NW OH. I know peas are a "cold weather crop" but I have never planted. Is now a good time?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I live in Kentucky and we plant peas in February. It takes them a long time to bear, and hot weather destroys the vines. It may also depend upon the variety you plant. I would look on the package and check the number of days to maturity, calculate when the hot weather sets in in your area, and then decide when you should plant where you live.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think most people start them pretty early but considering how cold it has been I am not sure.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well in my area planters day is around mid May, to be sure we are safe from frost, but with peas well, I thought they were "hardy" and maybe I should plant now. I will call a local greenhouse and ask, thank you ladies!
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• They are a hardy SEED/germ seeds in the soil.. The seeds can survive frosts.. But the sprouted plants themselves are not as hardy. If your area is prone to a lot of late, rogue, hard frosts then I wouldn't plant them this early. At most, maybe a week before you plant everything else. Reason being if they sprouted early and then got a late hard frost that killed your sprouts.. ugh. Whereas if you miss out on a week of peas if the weather gets too hot for them, so? A week of peas is not worth killing an entire crop. Now, if you're buying and planting some of those pre-sprouted plants from a plant nursery.. absolutely do not plant them early at all. Around here I wait til Memorial day to plant everything. If they're pre-sprouted anything, I wait til 1-2 weeks after to put them in. Good luck! P.S. In WNY they don't die, our summers are very mild, they lull a little in hot July but then regrow and bear til it frosts.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011