Ear piercing infants

At what age did you get your infant DD ears pierced? We're thinking about it and she's 3 months, so are there any suggestions on how to manage the pierced ears afterwards? Where did you get it done at, I can't imagine just taking her to the mall and letting an 18 yo who was trained in 10 minutes doing it.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 10:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My brother is a doctor, and he has seen so many keilods, rips, infections from ear pierce's gone bad, why not wait until she is old enought to take care of them, and it can be a treat,,,,idk too much risk for ears!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would never pierce a baby's ears! It's simply not my place to decide whether of not they should have holes in their body simply for cosmetic reasons. Now, when my kids decide they want their ears done, we will go to a REAL PIERCER! I would NEVER use a mall stand or anyone else that uses a Gun. Piercing Guns are simply dangerous. They can not be cleaned properly and the rate of infection is high!

Whether or not you decide to have it done - Read THIS before you allow anyone near your child with a gun!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My daughter was 3 years, not 3 months. It looked like I said 3 months. I'd wait until yours is old enough to ASK. It should be her choice.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• @BrynlysMommy - I don't know where you are, but I worked at Macy's, next to our store was a Clairs where one of my friends worked and right outside our door was a PirecenPergoda, and NEITHER of them had "new guns" for each ear. The gun was used over and over and over and never cleaned between uses. In fact the Pergoda had the gun "chained" to the chair so no one would steal it... the ONLY thing that was "new" about each ear or person was the earrings used... Blood, tissue and skin can and do get trapped in the back of the gun and can and do transmit infections, including HIV. You can have piercings done by your doctor or a professional piercer who will use a NEEDLE and not a gun which are going to be much safer!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• While she is "my" baby, it is HER body! Who am I to go punching holes in it? I waited until they asked, which for my girls was around age 4.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My daughter got hers when she was just 3. She asked for them, and we told her it would probably hurt a little bit and she still wanted them...I even pinched her ears to make sure she understood it wasn't going to tickle. I bought the gun over the counter at walmart and did them myself. **On a side note, I wouldn't recommend doing them yourself for young children. My daughter tried to jerk her head away when she heard the "pop" which frightened me.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with the folks who warn NOT to pierce. I've told my story before on CM, but I think it's important to pass it on. I had mine done at a young age and I wasn't mature enough to respect the piercings. I ended up accidentally tearing my right earring halfway down my lobe. Now that I'm an adult, I have this horrible split in my ear, and when I wear earrings, one hangs down lower than the other. It's really embarrassing, and an expensive thing to have fixed. Anyway, just wanted to share that. I wish my mother had waited until I was mature enough to be responsible for the care of them.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I do not agree with piercing a child's ears before the child asks for it. To me it is like getting your child a tattoo. And also, aren't the little earrings a choking hazard?!
    chelley123

Answer by chelley123 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• actually i worked at piercing pagoda in the mall at age 19, and we're trained more than 10 minutes, we have to go through blood borne pathogen and first aid courses, then we practiced on a ''dummy'', then we watched the others pierce that were already experienced, then finally we got to pierce adults first, never children as they are squirmy. I would suggest piercing pagoda, because that's where i got both my dd's pierced at ages 3 months, and other one at 6 months. they will give you after care instructions as well.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it's one more thing for the infant to grab on to and yank on.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2011