Am I going overboard with the bottles?

I sterilize all my DD's bottles after each use. I stick them into boiling water for a minute and wipe them dry after every use. It just makes me feel better to know that every bottle has been cleaned and 'de-bacterialized'. DD is 4 days old and Im pumping breast milk, I do the same thing with all the removable parts of the breast pump too. I wipe everything in my house with Lysol disenfecting wipes twice a day. Everyone says I'm going overboard, what do you think?

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 10:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol you are being a typical new mom.  I sterilized my first childs bottles for about a week, then I said screw it, I just washed them with soap and water.  Personally i've never believed in completely disinfecting a house, it does more harm than  good.  When I had my daughter the bottles went in the dishwasher :)

Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You will calm down soon. I think that is normal in the beginning. It is good for them to be exposed to germs so they can build up an immunity. You can just put the bottles in the dish washer instead. Did you try to nurse? It's a lot less work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with both of them, soap and hot water kills germs to this mommy's happiness :) Also if possible for you and your LO nursing is much easier, pumping is a pain in the rear in comparison, but that's if you have the option of course.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You are in the "brand new mommy" stage. Which is somewhat normal. Before long, you will find you have way too much to do to go so far to the extreme. Sterilizing the bottles and pump parts is not a bad thing at all. The Lysol cleaning twice a day, however, is a bit over the top, IMO. We need to be exposed to a certain amount of germs & bacteria in order to build a tolerance to them. My gr-g'ma was that way. She was pretty much OCD. She kept the house so clean that when my g'pa was finally taken out into the real world, he got sick all the time. Clean is good. But, living in a totally sterile environment leads to health issues later in the real world.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• There's nothing wrong with that, but I hate Lysol for many reasons. It may smell "clean" but it's toxic. Try using plain white vinegar. It sterilizes and kills germs all the same. The smell goes away once it dries. And it's not toxic to you, your kids, or your pets.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You sounds like me right after I have a baby, lol. I clean constantly and sterilize everything. I nursed so I didn't have to worry about the bottles at first. I had hand sanitizer in every room...I am horrible right after baby is born. It is normal. You will calm down here in a couple of months or should. I know I did.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Your just a new mom. By the time you have a 2nd kid you wont do any of this.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it's great! Better safe then sorry! I did the same thing and it really does prevent illnesses in infants. It is your child so YOU make the rules! I also made everyone remove their shoes when they came to visit & wash their hands before they go near the baby & absolutely NO ONE was allowed in who was sick. Your a Great new Mom! Enjoy your little one! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Going to wear yourself out.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Also just to add for on the go type pumping, like if I'm riding in the car I have the medela wipes strictly for use for that purpose
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2011