PLEASE HELP!!! In need of advice!!

My 4 yr old son is extremely jealous of my 5 month old!! We have tried so many things but nothing is working!! Please let me know if u have any advice!!

NCcountryGAL

Asked by NCcountryGAL at 8:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• Kids really love to help and feel needed. Can you give your 4 year old some responsibilities that relate to your baby?
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 8:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Make him feel like this is "his" baby too. Let him do and help whenever possible. Also shower him with attention all alone! He did not ask for this new little interloper so he wants you all to himself...make sure he gets plenty of one on one...with baby nowhere in sight.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I would let him "help" you make the bottle, ask him to get the diaper and wipes. If he/she's on baby food yet, maybe let him give him/her "feed" her a few spoonfuls because pugpin is right, they want and need to feel needed. Hope this helps some.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I have a five year old step-son and he loves to help with the baby. Follows us everywhere and wants to do whatever he can to help. Definitely get him involved and I agree that you need to spend time with him alone. Maybe have someone watch the baby while you take him to do something fun with just you.
    DellaF88

Answer by DellaF88 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• 1. Find out his love languages (they need them all met but usually lean toward one or 2 moreso)- from The Five Love Languages, by Gary Chapman

2. Have times (dates- call them what you will) where he gets to be alone with mommy, and times alone with daddy.

3. See if he can paint or draw, color, decorate with glue- something special to frame and put over baby's crib.

4. WHen he is upset, don't let him think he's not allowed those feelings- He should be able to tell someone at home that he is jealous, angry, scared, sad, lonely- so he always knows someone is looking out for him, cares about how he feels, and understands.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2008