Would you drink a glass of wine while pregnant?

Kate Hudson was caught in a picture drinking wine (supposedly wine). She is pregnant with baby #2. Would you drink alcohol while pregnant? Why or why not?

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, but I don't drink alcohol when I'm NOT pregnant. I see no need.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:47 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• normally...my answer would be no. I did however read an article covering a study that showed that a few glasses of wine a week (spread out of course) is healthy, even beneficial when pregnant. Alcohol IS vilified quite a bit...and though I am NOT a big drinker, I can see how the extremism is overkill. It is more risky to have cold cuts or sushi than to have a glass of wine when pregnant...but if you are an alcoholic, there is no "one glass" and those people have the side-effects or FAS problems.
    I think, like coffee, 3 a week is the MOST I would personally have...but I'm not even doing that. You know your body and tolerance.
    A little bit of wine acts as a calmer of nerves and is certainly healthier for everyone than taking pills for stress, pregnant or not. I would choose that over ANY drug over the counter for sure If I need to take the edge off. That's how I justify my few cups of caffeine a week too.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:00 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It is well established that nothing is safe, ever, for any reason during pregnancy.

Very true.lol I was blasted for still running while pregnant. From what I hear on Cafemom I am supposed to sit in a bubble and do nothing while pregnant.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I won't. Besides the fact that the smell & taste of alcohol makes me nauseous, even when I am not Pregnant, one glass of wine knocks me out. Totally not a good idea. If it makes me feel like that imagine what it is doing to a baby.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:10 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Dear person who down votes everybody,

Go find something to do besides crapping on everyone else's opinions, jokes and lives.

Thanks.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't think that this small amount would hurt but why risk it?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't like wine, so no. But I had a few sips of beer with the last one. I had major beer cravings while pregnant and finally gave in at about 34 weeks. Tasted so good. I made my husband drink it fast (it was the only one in the house) because I would have downed the whole thing and I'm such a light weight it would have made me tipsy.
    Other cultures drink wine throughout pregnancy without a second thought. I doubt it's as dangerous as American doctors make it out to be.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Personally, I lost my taste for alcohol completely when I was pregnant so no I wouldn't. But I do know lots of women who did have a glass of wine here and there and see no issue with it.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Science (and all the other cultures that have never had a restriction without repercussions) > sanctimommies

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would not. Even doctors can't agree on when and how much is okay. In my opinion it's just not worth the risk. I personally don't understand the love of alcohol so much that it can't be foregone for less than a year but if an adult wants to take the chance I guess it's their business.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2011