ADHD Testing

DD 5 and in pre-school. Her speech therapist and school psychologist both have mentioned having DD tested for ADHD because she tends to be very distractable and has trouble staying on task.

DD is 5 (February birthday) and I've always heard you can't be tested for ADHD until a child is at least 6.

Anyone have any experience of getting testing done before the age of 6?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I believe it would be hard to obtain a clear diagnosis of ADHD for a child that young. Just for the simple fact that it can be confused with normal childhood behavior.I would wait until the child is 6 and in kindergarten/1st grade. I agree...the younger you get the diagnoses..the better because then you'll know what to do and you can better help your child sooner.But too young..doesnt help either,lol. My son was diagnosed positively at the age of 10. Looking back now, I would have done it sooner..probably 1st grade.
    Good Luck..and best wishes to you and your child.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My oldest DD's physical/occupational/speech therapists all agree that she needs to be tested for ADHD but they told me to wait til age 6 also. Good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes test your child, the early you know the better for the child. Also, let your peditrician know.

I found out when my daughter was 13 and big mistake but it is workable. Just wish I knew sooner. I would have knew how to handle her better. :(

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You can get tested at age six. Is the child in school? if yes talk to the school about testing or you can have your childs doctors start the process. I know because im a school teacher and have seen it done in the past
    4bamms3

Answer by 4bamms3 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yes ive had three boys tested and all bfor 6 alot of it they can tell u just by watching them in the office then asking u some ?s on how they act
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'd beware of testing; once you go there, there's almost no turning back. Many of the behaviors that an evaluation might indicate are very often indicative of normal, childhood behaviors but everyone is very quick to label the child as ADHD. The testing (I laugh at that term) is extremely subjective with no real basis in science.
    Anonymous

• No but my kids that age are ditractable i wouldnt worry
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 11:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Most children that age are easily distracted. My son was too and his teacher insisted he had ADHD/ADD. He ended up being held back and he changed schools (another state) and he is doing much better. I never had him tested.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Be careful of teachers that make the assumption. My lil brother had that happen to him when we were growing up. If the teacher couldnt make them mind every single day( a class of kindergarten kids) then she would tell the parents. Most of her kids didnt have ADHD, she was just being lazy.
    tlvalmom

Answer by tlvalmom at 1:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2011