My sister in law is pregnant again...

My sister in law is pregnant with her third child. She has to give her youngest benadryl at night so he goes to sleep because she can't handle actually putting him to sleep. Then we just found out that her and her husband are expecting again. It wasn't a oopsie pregnancy either, they were actually trying to get pregnant. I know its not my place to say who should have babies or when they should have them, its just that I am really struggling to act happy for them. How would you act around them when they bring the subject up? She is the type of woman that wants attention and makes it known that she is pregnant too.

leekim2004

Asked by leekim2004 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i would just ignore them or maybe say you guys should probably get your shit together before the new baby is born!
    Anonymous

• Well... like you said, you shouldn't judge who has babies and when but I agree that it could be frustrating to you. I say that if they have the money, the space and time for them then go for it! The benedryl thing... I don't know and neither do you really, you arent there every night. Maybe she does but what else makes them bad parents??
    I'm not being rude, just wondering
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• There's got to be loads of parents that do some questionable things...but if the kids are safe and growing up well, its not your place to say a thing other than congrats.
    Anonymous

• The Benadryl thing would have me really worried. I wouldn't even know how to address that with the brother... With a 3rd child on the way its only gonna get worse. She could accidentally give him/her to much. If it were my brother I would be chewing his ass out about that. Not saying you should!!
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• A little deeper into the story:
    The father is going to serve jail time this month for breaking into my husbands grandfathers gas station and stealing cigarettes. He is an alcoholic, gambler, and pot smoker. He has gotten abusive when he drinks and has no job. She is working part time at a nursing home for a little more than minimum wage. With her last two pregnancies she had to quit working when she was about 4 months along because she physically couldn't take working. They have mooched off of everyone and are so unstable. They constantly accuse each other of cheating on each other. They admit openly that they give their child benadryl to put him to sleep. They also have said that they wish that they could drug their kids so they would just go the hell to sleep. I've thought and argued many times with my husband to try to turn them in to social services and try to get custody of them.
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• oook i was hesitant about answering your question because i had no idea how to but after that info..yeah they are crazy!! and i seriously believe that they are just looking for love in the wrong places (even tho they are married) they are tryin to keep each other around. thats my opinion. usually when people are abusive, alcholics, and accusing one another for cheating (they could be if they accuse each other) then they are ttc for the WRONG reasons. THEY NEED HELP!!!! and i agree with you...they maybe be family but those kids need to be saved.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• awesome to hear she is drugging her kid with OTC meds.

Our family was pretty surprised when my aunt gave us the news of #2, when they were having bad problems with #1 and their marriage... it worked out in the end... I would keep your opinions to yourself, and let her be happy. you know your gut feeling is right though
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I never thought of it as that way Keeely07 thanks. It does explain a lot about why maybe she wanted to get pregnant again. The crazy thing is is that she is bound and determined that she wants 4 kids! She constantly is complaining to everyone that her and her husband never get any alone time with eachother. They get to go out a lot!!! No alone time is what me and my husband have. The last time we went out was 8 months ago! Eeek! But thank you for thinking of that because it does give a reason why they are doing what they are doing even if it is for the wrong reasons.
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Now I understand... I would be upset too btu there isn't much you can do other than report them yourself... but if you do that, it doesnt YOU will get the kids. They might end up who knows where, worse off than they are now. Just offer support and maybe advice
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• your welcome :) i just have seen the same things in my friends and even in my family and i know that it can be a possible reason.

im glad i helped ...im actually gonna be getting my masters in family studies ..i want to be a counselor and they study these things haha.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2008