• In the Spotlight:

Can you recommend a fridge lock?

Our 3 year old keeps helping herself to the food in the fridge which has resulted in fruit with bites taken out of it and pies with finger marks! UUGG!! Can you recommend a fridge lock, where to get it, and how much? We are on a really tight budget.

THANKS!

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 8:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We've never had this issue but for now I would say put a tray of food on the bottom shelf and tell her "this is ok for you to get into when you ask" and have things there she can have. I let my kids get things for me when we are cooking (I have to help, but like if I need the milk or something) but for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, I have a plan and they do not get to choose what they want. I may give them a few things to pick from for snacks but it is never a free for all, let me see what we have and decide what i want.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Maybe Lowes or Home Depot.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• ya we used the fridge locks that you can find at walmart, but my son who is three figured those puppies out within a few weeks. My husband then just got a latch thing and we put a master lock on it and put the key on top of the fridge, its kinda a pain but in the long run it has saved me money.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I got the safety first frig lock from Wal-mart or OSH. It snaps in, my 3 yr old figured it out. To keep her out you really need to lock it. My baby likes to get her own juice and snacks on the cheese. It drives me crazy.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 9:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son had them figured out before he was 3. The first one we had, he reached right up and ripped it off the refridgerator.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• yeh i had one to on the fridge my kids figured it out to. i wish i had something else that worked cuz i cant keep them out of it, all day long they're snacking
    jo-42

Answer by jo-42 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2008