4 kids, 5 pets & deployed husband....HELP! =)

Yup, I have 4 kids (1, 2, 3, 4 yrs. old) and 5 pets (dog, cat, rabbit, turtle, fish). It's been getting kinda crazy here lately and I'm trying to find a new system that will help me get some relief and also give EVERYONE the time and attention they need. I've been wanting to get a schedule started for my pets but don't know where to start. Anyone out there have a system they'd like to share?

MommyGrouch60

Asked by MommyGrouch60 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Pets

• WOW!!! I thought I had it rough with 5 kids (1,6,9,14,15) and 4 dogs. I would get everyone on a schedule. It wouldn't have to be that strict, and try to get your oldest to help as much as possible. The cat is one that I would automate as much as possible. You could keep the litter box, scoop, and a small trash can somewhere that is convenient and you have to sit for a few minutes, like your bathroom? Then just remember to scoop everytime you really sit down to go, and change the litter every week while you are cleaning the other pets. Fortunately, my 4 dogs have 15 acres to run around on, so I don't have to do much scooping for them, but when I did, we took the scoop out everytime they went out and just got it then, because it took less time than hunting for it later. Clean the others once a week on a schedule at the same time, and it shouldn't take you long to keep up after all of it.
    jrgot2travel

Answer by jrgot2travel at 10:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Your a military wife so you'll know all about discipline & routines. It sounds like you need to draw yourself up a schedule & stick to it.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 6:40 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• clappingI just want to say that I applaud you for trying to find something that works instead of taking the easy route and ditching the pets, that happens so many times.  You will find whatever works for your family.  I am in the same boat-ish.  We have 4 kids ages 1, 7, 11, and 14, and my husband is in another state working.  He won't return until June, and then he's bringing back a horse (for me to take care of when he works out-of-state again.)

Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 12:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Your certinaly have your hands full. I am sure that the kids being so young need the am care time ie feeding dressing and then getting them in a place to stay and be occupied so you can then feed the dogs and the other creatures you have. Cleaning up after morning rush can be busy, then cleaning up after the animals will take time, then it will be snake or lunch time for the kids...If I were you I would get a babysitter to help you in the afternoons so you have time to care for the other things you need to do...Good luck honey and I hope you find your way!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Thank you all for hearing me out and giving me some good advise. I've starting planning something for that goes along side with what you all have been telling me and it's been working so far. I'm starting light and will get more detailed later. Thank you all so much!
    MommyGrouch60

Answer by MommyGrouch60 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008