Prom issue ugh

My sons a Junior and his gf and him go to different schools. He invited her to prom in January. We knew we had to get tickets quick, plus she has to be approved because she is in a different school. I love her to death but her parents are just ugh. I have been telling them for months I needed to know asap about this. They lost the paperwork and didnt tell me. They finally found it, and tomorrow is the last day to have the paperwork in, and they gave it to us today. They didnt fill the whole thing out. I need the gfs ID (copy of it), and still need to buy the tickets which now cost $55. They would have been half that if we bought them when we gave the paperwork.
My son didnt tell me half of all this, and told me today he needed a check for $55. I dont have it and wont until Friday. I have half a mind to say no or to tell the parents something? What should I do?
And yes I can borrow the money until my dh gets paid, it isnt the point. I think this whole thing was handled so irresponsibly.

Asked by gemgem at 12:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Don't punish your son or his GF for her parent's faults; buy the tickets. You could always think of a way for him to "pay" you the difference. Just work hard to teach responsibility to your own so that someone isn't saying this about them in the future.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't blame you for tearing your hair out. All you can do is be a squeekie wheel (some more). Too bad you can't punish the parents.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• For senior prom,get on her parents about it in September!!!! That is totally not right what her parents r trying to pull!!! I would be mad too!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Here is the thing . . . a lot of 16 year olds take care of their own paperwork. They fill everything out, put the paper in front of the parent, and tell them to read and sign. The girlfriend could have done this. If this wasn't happening fast enough, your son could have gotten extra paperwork, sat down with his girlfriend, filled it out, and brought it to the parents to sign.
    Gem, I can tell that you are a very reponsible parent, you keep on top of all of your son's stuff, make sure it gets done in time, etc . .. but all parents are not like that, and even some who are give the kids repsonsibility over that stuff in high school.
    When I was in high school, it was expected that I work, do my own taxes, pay for college entrance exams, and save for college, and get myslef into college. So, things like prom paperwork . . . if I wanted to go, I needed to fill out the paperwork and get those signatures . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• a movie instead of prom, are you kidding?! I would shell out a quickie and have two kids washing cars this weekend lol
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yea a movie is not going to go over well lol. I called his dad and he is sending the money for the tickets. I am just angry at her parents for being like this. My son doesnt want me to say anything, but they have been together a long time and I really think I just need to say something to prevent this from happening again later.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The reason kids feel entitled to things is because they have been constantly given things. Go ahead and vote me down - no a movie isn't as good as a prom, but if my son didn't purchase the tickets before the cost went up, I wouldn't provide him something that he didn't feel the need to stay on top of in the first place. What lesson does that teach? From my perspective, it's "I can be as irresponsible as I want and mom will bail me out."
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I guess you didnt read my post. He did everything on time the way he was supposed to. The parents did not.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Oh, I am sooo sorry GemGem! You are the true vitim here because you have no control and all the responsibility.

Frankly, I think that your son, his girlfrind, AND the parents are equally responsible. Either of the kids could have hounded about it and pushed to get the paperwork done . . especially because they are so old. The whole system failed.

I like the suggestion above about buying the tickets and then having your son pay you back the difference between the lower price and the higher price. That will teach him the importance of staying on top of things and saying something . . . . even though it is not all his fault, by any means, he was the representative for your family in this transaction.

I would try to not be upset. Just get the tickets, and arrange for repayment. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• He already offered to repay me :-) That part isnt an issue. He has a job. And the tickets are $55 for both, not each lol. In case I was not clear.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011