My dd is 6 and wants a laptop/notebook for her b-day??

Should i GET IT FOR HER OR IS SHE JUST TO YOUNG. She is in 1st grade and does have computer class daily...idk?

MexTexmom2

Asked by MexTexmom2 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's not an age thing as much as it's a maturity and responsibility thing. My 6 year old wouldn't do well with her own laptop. She uses mine - but she's not responsible enough to take care of her own. My 8 year old, on the other hand, has a hand-me down laptop and does just fine with it. We do have a rule that he can only access the internet from public areas of the hours after asking permission. The wireless network is not readily accessible in the bedroom end of the house - as frustrating as it can be for DH and me, we don't try to rectify the problem now that the kids are more interested in using the computer.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• learning laptops are less than $100 and offer kids typing, games and printer hook up. go for one of those and if it isn't trashed by Christmas I would consider getting one then
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• well it depends on her maturity level my son was like three when he got his frist hanheld game and took better care of it then my older boys and now he does have his own laptop also and he just turned 8 in march
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My dd is 6 and got one for Christmas (she was 5 then) and she broke it over the weekend. I wouldnt get one if I were you. A desk top if a better option at that age.

Answer by gemgem at 12:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would start out with a learning laptop first. See how she does with that and if she takes good care of it and is responsible with it, suprise her with the laptop. For her age I would say the notebook would be the perfect size for her.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my son has been asking for one also and we just continue to tell him when he can pay for it from his allowance then he can get one
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• get a hand me down desktop that is not portable...even those that take good care of things have accidents. even adults have accidents...it's just an expensive piece of equipment for a 6 year old to carry around....i have a 6 year old who is allowed to use my desktop but not my laptop...
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That age is too young in my opinion. I would find something else like a desktop, or a childrens learning toy laptop. There is a lot available these days, she really shouldn't need her own laptop yet.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011