I think my son is sick.

My little boy is only 2 months and has a terrible cough and stuffy nose. He has an appointment on the 12th but does anyone know a med that is safe to give him until then?

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not give him any over the counter meds unless his dr says its safe. Too many meds now a days make kids sick and can even kill them. Your best bet is to call the Peds office and ask the nurse what she suggests and possibly moving his appointment up and get him checked out.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 12:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• As far as I'm aware, there is nothing safe for him at that age. I would call the Dr. and see about getting him seen sooner, especially if his coughing is constant or loud or sounds like whooping cough. Until then you can use Johnson's vapor bath (it's green) and get saline drops and a ball syringe (snot sucker) to help him out.
    VioletPlacebo

Answer by VioletPlacebo at 12:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Go see the doctor. Call and tell them he's sick and they will have you come in today.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You can use a ball syringe to suck mucus out of his nose. Thats about all you can do, sorry to say. Try getting a sooner appointment with the Dr.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Use a humidifier in the baby room. It will help with the congestion.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• tell the pedi that your son is sick, they should be able to see you in the next hour or so
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with VioletPlacebo. I have two daughters and my infant had a very stuffy nose a few months ago. I went to the doctors with her and she suggested saline drops and the ball syringe (we like to call it the 'booginator' :o)). Worked wonders almost instantly. Also, running a humidifier in the nursery is great -- we did that, too. Hope this helps. Hope baby feels better soon :)
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 1:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I highly recommended the Nosefrida (I bought mien on Amazon) for sucking snot. You can't get very good suction with the bulbs and the Nosefrida works really, really well!
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Oh and another thing. I would definitely take your son to the Dr because my daughter had a little cough and a runny nose at two months. Being a first time mom I freaked and called the Dr. and brought her in. I was lucky I did because she had the beginning stages of pneumonia. We caught it early enough that it was easily treated, but it was really scary. She had to get two humongous shots and go on oral antibiotics. Some people may say kids are over-medicated, but I was glad for the Dr acting so quickly to get antibiotics on board before she got worse.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Ty all for your advice. I made my son a appointment unfortunatly they couldn't get him in today so I have to wait until tommorrow.
    charmd18

Comment by charmd18 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011