What is a good inexpensive laptop?

I am starting school in the fall (so way stoked!) and as most of my classes will be online I need a laptop because our computer is in our bedroom and although thats fine for surfing once in a while and hitting up CM I doubt I will be able to do all of my class work while the little ones are sleeping so I need something mobil so I can be where they are ya know...anyhow I know almost nothing about computers so I am wondering if you ladies can tell me about your laptops and about how much the cost you...Thanks!!

pregoagain2010

Asked by pregoagain2010 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Technology

• Beware of some models of HP laptops. Some models are notorious for overheating issues. I had one before that I had to take in 5 times and eventually the hard drive died and they had to send it out to Japan to install a new one.

Asus is definitely a good brand. My husband and I both have 2 different models of Asus laptops that have worked well for the past few years. Only one word of caution (not really due to Asus) but for any laptop, make sure that you set the windows update to something other than on shutdown/startup because it could mess it up.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I love Hp our desk top is a Hp and so is our laptop. We bought our Hewlett packard laptop this yr with income taxes for $548!! I love it.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have a compaq presario which i mainly use for school, and i LOVE it! Ive had it for two years, I paid 349 at best buy :) It's perfect for school.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If you only need to get online and perhaps a little word processing, you may be ok with a Netbook, which is ultra-portable. They do lack a CD/DVD drive so transferring data or adding new software can be tricky. You'd need to use a thumb drive (USB port) to transport file to another machine or email them as an attachment. They also have small screens and less overall 'power' than a standard laptop. But, I think they also tend to be relatively less expensive. They're great if you're looking to use it primarily to access the 'net and do a little word processing, esp if you can use cloud-based services.

In terms of laptops, I've had two different tech-experts tell me to check out the Asus laptops when I was out shopping for my new one. I got good system for $540. Best advice - go to the store and get your hands on them. Find one that feels good to your keyboarding fingers then ask questions.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The other thing I wanted to add is that it pays to your homework a head of time. Each brand is going to offer you an assortment of hardware options at various price points. Understand what you want to use your laptop or and what power those applications require. For most home users, the newest, highest speed processor is overkill and not worth the money you're going to pay for it. The machine I got, for example, comes with the Intel Core i3 Processor. Some machines come with a 'faster' processor (the i5 or i7) and some come with a 'slower' processor. You're also going to pay more or less based on the type of hard drive you select, the amount of memory it has, the screen size, etc.

Other questions to ask yourself: Do I plan to use the laptop somewhere I can't plug in and for how long? If you're, for example, taking it to the park understand some laptops have longer lasting batteries than others....
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have an HP. I got it for about $450. My kids have a Toshiba that we got for a little less than $300. You really need to know exactly what you want to do with the laptop and then look for ones that are geared toward those purposes.

I also wanted to add to ldmrmom's comment on the battery power: Don't believe what the book/ads claim. My laptop is supposed to have 4 hours of battery life, I get maybe an hour out of it on a good day. Now, it may be that my battery is getting shot, but I've gotten less than the claim since day one. So, consider that what they tell you you'll get is probably more than what you'll really get.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011