Vaccinations & Breastfeeding

I was just reading an article (which I'm going to see if I can find online) that was talking about how breast milk can "inactivate vaccine antibodies" and that breastfeeding should be delayed until vaccines are able to take effect...

Would you still breastfeed if it meant your child's vaccines wouldn't work?
Would you still vaccinate (on time) if it meant you had to delay or stop breastfeeding?
Or would you simply ignore the advice and do both at the same time?

**Can we do our best not to turn this in to a Pro/Anti vaccine or BF post?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've never heard that but the question that come to mind is: "If something as natural as breast-feeding can cause a vaccination to become Ineffective...why bother with them in the first place." It doesn't seem right that in order for a vaccine to be effective, a mom would have to stop breast-feeding for awhile...how about those babies that cannot tolerate anything BUT breast-milk.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well, my kids won't get vaccines anyways (they did prior, and if I knew then what I know now, they wouldnt have had any). It would not have affected my choice on BF.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't vaccinate either. But I always read the articles when they come out in Parenting Mags. This is a local one, so I'm having trouble finding it online... But the article was talking about how antibodies in breastmilk enable the immune system of a newborn to "fight off" the vaccines and stop them from actually protecting the baby.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't believe the study and would need more results before I did. So for the time being, I'd just BF anyway.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would still breastfeed.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't think the author of the article understands how the body generates antibodies. Antibodies are the things produced by the immune system. An "enabled immune system" would be actively making antibodies. A non-functioning immune system is not making antibodies. If a child's immune system is "enabled" by breast milk, it would be more capable of generating anti-bodies, not less.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011