How can i get my dog to stop barking?

I have a dog that barks at everything and everyone that walks by our back door. We have moved his kennel so many times it's not funny to try and stop this but to no avail. I have always been a cat person never had a dog before this was my DH brainy idea to get him right before he deployed. He claimed it was for my oldest son to help teach him more responsibilty and guess who has been REALLY taking care of him???? so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 12:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pets

• They sell this thing called Bark Stop at Wal-mart that mkes an innaudible(to humans) sound when dogs bark that is supposed to distract them and make them stop barking. We were caring for my aunts two really stupid dogs for about 7 months and it worked for them. You could try that, it only cost about $10 I think.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 12:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Try watching Victoria Stilwell of It's Me or the Dog on the Animal Discovery channel or web search the name. She uses positive reinforcement and she even did a segment on this particular issue. Unfortunately, I was in and out of the room when it was on so I can't give any real advice. Good luck to you.

Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Skip the collar, and get the dog some training. Teach the dog the proper times to bark, this will take some effort on you and your son to teach him, like everyday. I would also watch "It's me or the Dog" to help get ideas of how to train you dog.

Also if he is in a kennel all day, he is bored and no training will fix that. Make sure the dog is getting plenty of excersise each day. Long walks, an indestructible ball to chase, fetch, swimming, dog park, training are all great choices. If a dog is tired, they sleep thus no barking.
    My dog is very vocal and we have been working on it and she has reduce her noises (whining, growling, and barking) considerably. Also walking the perimeter of the yard a for a while helps to teach boundaries, this helps to teach a dog were they are allowed and were strangers are allowed, this helped too.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Try covering the front of his crate with a towel. My dog used to bark when he saw us moving around in the middle of the night in his crate and the towel did wonders. I like the citronella anti bark collar for problem barking.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• IF he's outside all the time, bring him in...he's barking because he's bored and needs attention.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• tawneektin is this a collar?
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yeah its not a question of wether or not he's getting enough exercise and out of his kennel it's that he's barking at people outside that he can see walking around. We live on post and there is a walking trail right near our backyard that people frequently use
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I had a bark collar... they really work... I had a small yappy dog that didnt stop barking...but that did the trick...
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 3:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• they have collars that beep when a dog barks.. we got one for my dog and she learned to only bark when someone was at the door or in the driveway
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011