Help!

We recently started weening my 2 month old off of breast milk by doing half and half with formula which has made her very constipated. She hasn't pooped in a couple of days. Anyone have any suggestions for what we can do to help her?? Rubbing her belly has not helped at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try weaning more slowly? Or don't wean? Maybe a different formula?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well I'm kinda wondering how to help her right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• She's probably just at the age when they stop pooping so often. At that age my son went every 4-5 days. The doctor said this was normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My son had the same problem, i'd give it another day or so and you may need an enema, we had to to that for my son. or maybe just try a little bath it may help,, wiping her but with a warm cloth.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Personally, I would stop the formula and go back to nursing, just to see if it made a difference. That way, you will KNOW whether it is the formula or not.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think when my niece had really bad constipation, even though she was exclusively breast fed, the Dr said to give her a little karo syrup
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would do the weaning more slowly, a little constipation is normal at this point considering the switch. Right now I would go back to straight Breast Milk, as it has a natural laxative in it. And increase the fluid as much as she will let you.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• 1 ounce baby apple juice/1 ounce water, slightly warmed...you can give up to once a day at this age.
    Good Luck mama...hope she feels better soon!
    My daughter had those issues too when she was a baby.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Karo syrup, while often suggested, can be dangerous, even deadly, in infants. Karo specifies this on their website. There is a risk of botulism poisoning, very similar to the reason you can't give honey to infants. Just an FYI.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011