My 6 yr old dd is "scary" lol

Help me try and settle my dh's worries. I am trying to explain to him there is nothing to worry about. We have a 6 yr old dd together. She has 4 siblings, 3 older brothers, and her sister is the oldest (21). She has spent 90% of her time with boys. She is not at all intimidated by boys, their games, or how they play. At school this shows. She plays with both boys and girls. She is girly, a cheer leader, dance, and gymnast, she also plays softball, and is not adverse to playing in the mud when the mood hits.

My dh's best friends son is the same age and in the same class with our dd. His son says my dd is "scary" because she chases him, and plays with the boys too. I told my dh it is because she has 3 brothers. Am I wrong? He thinks I need to teach her to be more "girly" and not play with boys so aggressively.

Asked by gemgem at 12:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him to quick being sexist. She is a healthy girl. As she gets older if she wants to be more girly I am sure she will figure it out or get help. And beside she is more likely to confident and stand up for herself this way. And so what if she is a bit of a tom boy, she still rocks.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Eh, she's fine and perfectly normal.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• whatever! she is JUST fine, as long as she isn't being a bully leave her be!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I thought boys were more fun to play with when I was that age. My DD has realized that there's less drama playing with the boys but unfortunately, they do get tagged with some kind of a name like tomboy. Let her be who she is.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• She sounds like my DD at that age. Mine has an older and younger brother and this girl is tougher than the boys together. There was a boy she liked in kindergarten, she would drop tackle him and sit on him (all 27 lbs of her.)

Today she is the best dressed tomboy out there. She likes nice clothing then goes out and mountain bikes in them. The knees are missing in 3/4 of her jeans. She crashed her bike one day and came home proudly dripping blood.

Tell DH that you are raising and proud, strong and perfectly normal little girl.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• TY ladies. I can show my husband he is over reacting. And no shes no bully, she is just very self confident which I think its awesome.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011